• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Play in steering

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered many times before, I've spent hours reading. I still dont know what to tackle first, and everybodys 'case' seems to be different. I dont make enough money to be throwing money down the drain on parts I dont need.

I had my girlfriend turn the steering wheel between the two points where it started to 'catch', everything was turning except when it got to the steering box. It was a while ago and I can't remember if the arm was moving, but it seemed to just rotate on itself and not go anywhere, and obviously didn't move the wheels. there are several inches of movement on either side, and this isnt safe. Will adjusting the steering box possibly fix this? I dont need it to be perfectly responsive, just a little more accurate would be nice.

I just jacked the car up and moving the wheels side to side everything turns correct, but when I get in the car and turn the steering wheel theres the massive amounts of play still. Whats going on?

You need to have another look underneath while your gf turns the wheel back and forth. See if the pitman arm moves. Could be one of the tie rod ends.

Try to put your vehicle up on ramps so that the front wheels resist turning a little. Have your girlfriend turn the steering wheel back and forth like one 1/2 turn and you'll be able to see the play somewhere. I have found bad tie rod ends and a bad pitman arm that way. If everything else is tight, but the pitman arm (on the steering box) isn't moving like it should, you should be able to tighten up the steering box some, but that is tricky because if you make it too tight, the vehicle won't self center down the road.

I've had pretty good luck raising the front axle onto jack stands, shoving a piece of wood between the drag link and whatever is handy and clamping the drag link tight with a "C" clamp.
Makes it easier to isolate the problem, either above the pitman or below the pitman or both.
Turn the sterring wheel to check for top end play, grab a wheel at 9 and 6 and twist to check for bottom steering linkage play.
Don't forget about the Trac Bar, when it has play the body kind of shifts instead of the wheels turning.

I've had pretty good luck raising the front axle onto jack stands, shoving a piece of wood between the drag link and whatever is handy and clamping the drag link tight with a "C" clamp.
Makes it easier to isolate the problem, either above the pitman or below the pitman or both.
Turn the sterring wheel to check for top end play, grab a wheel at 9 and 6 and twist to check for bottom steering linkage play.
Don't forget about the Trac Bar, when it has play the body kind of shifts instead of the wheels turning.

Thats what happened last time my girlfriend shook the wheel, the car would just kind of wiggle instead of the wheels moving. Guess I'll be running up to the junkyard sometime. The bushing on the trac bar looks disgusting and falling apart, can't you get just the bushing for it? I read somewhere that the other end wears down too, but if that side looks good can't you just change out the bushing??

Thanks for the help guys!

I just looked at mine for the same thing and found the box worn out. the out put shaft (not slop in box) would move side to side between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch. and ya it leaks a little.

I just looked at mine for the same thing and found the box worn out. the out put shaft (not slop in box) would move side to side between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch. and ya it leaks a little.

ahh Mine steering doesn't have any play.. but maybe that shaft moving around would explain why my input shaft still leaks after replacing the seal... although.. you are talking about the output shaft.. not sure if the input shaft could wiggle..

Back