• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front DriveShaft spitting

CherokeeXJ1996

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Friends

I have Question about Front DriveShaft.

front Axle to Driveshaft connection have a greae tit on 'em.
it spitting out of driveshaft to u-joint and wall of under body near the Tranny and some on UCA.

should i put boot cover it?

Should I be :( or :mad: or :woohoo:about this one.

let me me know

:peace: out Friends,

CherokeeXJ1996

im not sure, but i dont think grease fittings (i think thats what your reffering to) are supposed to spit grease while turning... a boot would be a quick fix, but grease would fill the inside too, check out why its leaking...

[FONT=&quot]Grease fittings have a built-in check valve to prevent 'spitting'. If you look closely at a good one, you will see the ball just inside the inlet hole. There is a spring behind the ball that may be broken or jammed.
Try installing a new, 75 cent zerk fitting and see if that stops the problem.
They are available at any auto parts store.[/FONT]

lazyxj said:
[FONT=&quot]Grease fittings have a built-in check valve to prevent 'spitting'. If you look closely at a good one, you will see the ball just inside the inlet hole. There is a spring behind the ball that may be broken or jammed.
Try installing a new, 75 cent zerk fitting and see if that stops the problem.
They are available at any auto parts store.[/FONT]

X2 your zerk should not be doing that. Invest in a under $1 zerk and grease it again.

The correct fix is $.75 Zerk Fitting. You could put a boot over it for like $10.00, whatever floats your boat.

twisted_ed said:
The correct fix is $.75 Zerk Fitting. You could put a boot over it for like $10.00, whatever floats your boat.

True, but a new zerk would keep the grease where it should be. A boot can easily tear and get debris in there with the grease.

that was what I was getting at in my sarcasm, in that the correct fix is also the cheaper route, kinda the opposate of what it normally is.

twisted_ed said:
that was what I was getting at in my sarcasm, in that the correct fix is also the cheaper route, kinda the opposate of what it normally is.

Exactly, it's such a bonus when the correct fix is cheap and easy.:wave:

so out of the axle end or the transfer case end. you could have a bad seal on your axle or t-case (although neither seem likely to leek)

do you think you could get some pictures up on here?

so its comming out of the transfercase? Is it grease or ATF?

rocklandxjer said:
so out of the axle end or the transfer case end. you could have a bad seal on your axle or t-case (although neither seem likely to leek)

do you think you could get some pictures up on here?

how can i get pictures up on here?

CherokeeXJ1996

The seal is bad on the drive shaft it's self. The zerk would only leak if the ball and sprind somehow popped out.

dude, why is all your stuff all.....centered and stuff.....? :helpme:

Buy quality grease,you shouldnt be "slinging" grease (except any that comes out when lubing the shaft) and dont worry about it.
Get some water-resistant/high temp grease,I use Amsoil

Last edited:
It sounds like it may be a pinion seal or the seal @ the T-case to me. Although I didn't read it toooo close since I was wierded out cause of the centered text.

Back