• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ steering in an XJ?

Kinslayer

NAXJA Forum User
I was down at the wrecker the other day and noticed that stock YJ steering arms have one important difference from stock XJ/ZJ steering - a solid tie rod from knuckle to knuckle.. the steering arm intersects in the middle of the tie rod, but it's definitely a real tie rod..

Anyone put this shit on their XJ before?

I've been creeping the boards for a while, never heard of anyone doing it. Probable reasons: different ball joint ends, probably requires a new drag link to be set up to connect to tie rod, wheel to wheel width may not be the same (though its all D30s, right? so maybe it is)
Go for it - let us know how it goes. New tech is good tech.

I had a measuring tape at the time, and I measured the overall tie-rod length vs the 'invisible tie rod' on the XJ..and it was the same.. only thing I can think is the wishbone thing on the XJ has a weird bend at the passenger side to clear the steering stabilizer..

It will all fit,its just a inverted t set-up like the rest.

It'll fit, and it's been done before. Most folks gave up on it because it creates a dead spot in the steering. Because the drag link attaches at the front of the tie rod, the tie rod rotates before there is positive steering movement, creating a dead spot. It's not so bad on a YJ, since the height of the steering box is lower and so the angle of the drag link is less, so it pushes straighter on the tie rod. On the XJ the drag link angle is much more and it creates the dead spot. Stock XJ steering is desireable over using the stock YJ steering, both for strength and because of the slop.

Back