• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Installing a remote starter setup???

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

What would be involved with installing a remote starter so you can start your car while still in the house, to let it warm up? I am pretty sure the factory "alarm" has an ignition kill feature...would there be a way to bypass this so the car could be started remotely while still locked?

Let me know if you have any info on this. Thanks!

I got one at Wal-mart here last year and it came w/ an install CD. I used that and the Scematics from my jeep and went in quickly. It is about the same level as doing a stereo, just under the dash. Man you luckly dawg, I miss SoCal on days when the high is in the mid 20's.

If you buy at Circuit City, Best Buy or other name brand store, installation is usually included in the price and well worth the money. It will save from from a real pain in the neck.

I just installed a Bulldog Security Remote Starter model RS1100 on my 2001 XJ.
took about 3 hours...but I move kind of slow. I bought it on Ebay for $25 plus shipping. I did not have a factory alarm...and I only wired up the parking lights, hood pin, and remote starter. I use my factory key fob for unlocking the power door locks.
I found all the information I needed to install it came in the kit, or was at the website www.bulldogsecurity.com
I have tested it at around 400 feet away, through a concrete wall, and it works fine.

If you buy at Circuit City, Best Buy or other name brand store, installation is usually included in the price and well worth the money. It will save from from a real pain in the neck.

That is also a good way to get the upgrade to a hacked up wiring harness and numerous scotchloks.

That is also a good way to get the upgrade to a hacked up wiring harness and numerous scotchloks.

LOL that's why I do my own, there is no substitute for solder and heat shrink aside from exothermic welding in this application.

The bulldog remote starters can be wired to disengage the starter two different ways...tach mode or tachless mode...in tachless mode, the remote starter will detect the change in alternator output voltage, decide the engine is running, and disengage the starter. In tach mode, the remote starter will learn the engine rpm start speed to determine when to disengage the starter. If you wire it for tach mode, it is only one extra wire to connect. Everything I have read says you probably want to wire it up in tach mode if your rig is hard starting.

Back