• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot Winch

The Box

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Superwinch x9 and it gets extremely hot really fast with almost no load. The other day I was respooling it and it got so hot I couldn't touch it for more than half a second.

It was on a minimal slope, on flat pavement, with the jeep in neutral. I had to stop to let it cool down like 4 or 5 times. Before I noticed it getting so hot I noticed it spewing muddy fluid out of one of the battery cable ports on the housing that I thought was welded sealed. I would give it a couple minutes but if I didn't give it enough time a small puff of smoke would come out when I would engage the IN spooling. This can't be good.

I've never had to use to pull a vehicle but I've screwed around with it, using it to pull dead trees and bushes out of a buddies yard.

Is there a way to lube these things or somthing? Also I bought it used, was told it was never used. But the guy apparently took the pig tail plug and used it on somthing else. Long story short it has a Warn 5 prong pig tail plug on it. Could there be an electrical problem causing it to get so hot?

Thank for the help as always.

Dan

I have a Superwinch x9 and it gets extremely hot really fast with almost no load. The other day I was respooling it and it got so hot I couldn't touch it for more than half a second.

It was on a minimal slope, on flat pavement, with the jeep in neutral. I had to stop to let it cool down like 4 or 5 times. Before I noticed it getting so hot I noticed it spewing muddy fluid out of one of the battery cable ports on the housing that I thought was welded sealed. I would give it a couple minutes but if I didn't give it enough time a small puff of smoke would come out when I would engage the IN spooling. This can't be good.

I've never had to use to pull a vehicle but I've screwed around with it, using it to pull dead trees and bushes out of a buddies yard.

Is there a way to lube these things or somthing? Also I bought it used, was told it was never used. But the guy apparently took the pig tail plug and used it on somthing else. Long story short it has a Warn 5 prong pig tail plug on it. Could there be an electrical problem causing it to get so hot?

Thank for the help as always.

Dan

He lied and you got screwed!!! Time for a new winch!!

That is what im worried about.

I don't think there is a market for winches with a 60' per hour line speed.

Everything works great except it getting hot super quick.

Just for giggles...

If you check around at your local, you should be able to find a "contact ammeter" that will give with the current going through a line - one scale labeled "alternator" and one labeled "starter."

Use the "starter" side, and see what the current draw of your winch is at no-load, and compare it to factory spec. Current = Heat with electrics (those of you who understand better, please don't correct me at the moment. I'm trying to keep it simple...) and if it's drawing too much current, it's going to heat up the case rather quickly.

Thanks 5-90 i'll check that. One of the cables does heat up but not nearly as much as the motor does. Im hoping that the solenoid box was just rewired incorrectly.

Before I noticed it getting so hot I noticed it spewing muddy fluid out of one of the battery cable ports on the housing that I thought was welded sealed.

I'd first investigate why the motor housing is full of water. The brake assembly inside the drum and might be loaded with crap too, which would definately cause a warm running motor.
The wiring isn't complicated, but you could try calling Superwinch for a wiring diagram.

Back