• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with high beam problem

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I have been meaning to ask this since I bought my jeep. Whenever I try to switch on my high beams my headlights shut off instead of getting a high beam. Driving on dark country roads has been tough with only regular beam headlights. I have checked fuses and they look good. Any idea where to start?

Either the high/low switch in your steering column, or the connector in the left front fender behind the airbox.

Well, I looked by the airbox and I saw one bigger type connector, but it really looked okay. I kinda wiggled it a bit, but that was it. Anyone have a picture of this connector showing its location and what it looks like?

It's an 8 or 10 way connector. Everything in the front clip, headlights, turn signals and clearance lamps, all go through it. The wires corrode at the crimped on terminals.

Okay. I am just not very good with electronics so this is tough for me. I think I'm looking at the right thing but I am just not sure. There are so many wires along that side that I could be looking at something else.

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow and post them up.

Last edited:
He said he wiggled the plug and they worked, so apparently the filaments are OKAY.

I was actually going to suggest checking with another headlight though. There was a guy on here who didn't have headlights and actally both just burnt out at the same time.

Well, no they actually never worked after wiggling the connector. So, I might need new filaments. That might be the easiest thing to try first.

Its actually not that uncommon for both headlights to burn out. Especially if you dont notice the first one go out. The one that is still working gets more current fed to it making it hotter and making it burn out much faster. I am sure you have seen cars on the road with one headlight burnt out but the one working is much brighter. I wouldnt be surprised if this is your problem.

Bought some new headlights today. My regular beams worked but still not the highs. After poking around what did I find? Both wires for the Highs were cut on each side! This used to be a State park vehicle so they must have had something else wired to these. Who knows. Anyways, my high beams work great now.

Back