• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Libby Axle under XJ Do-able?

DubaiXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just out of curiosity: Would a Libby 8.25 axle fit under an XJ. There are some obvious advantages like disc brakes, same bolt pattern, 4.10 gears (in the 2.4) and the 8.25 is a fairly solid axle. Obviously spring perches would need to be reworked but this can't be a biggie (?)

Just wondering...

I think it would work. from my initial check.

It'll work, and it'll most likely work with the ABS system on some XJ's, which 8.25's never came with from the factory. If you have access to one, it might be a cool little project to tackle.

did some checking on the liberty axle. needs to be nearly new model(2006 and up I think), and most of the parts aren't available at the local auto parts stores yet. you would need to find a wrecked one(good luck) with a good axle.

Yes you can use a TJ D44 but please don't, I'll trade you an XJ D44. or at least give me the bracketry.
in all honesty, any axle will swap under. the libby is 60" track width.

Rawbrown said:
Yes you can use a TJ D44 but please don't, I'll trade you an XJ D44. or at least give me the bracketry.
in all honesty, any axle will swap under. the libby is 60" track width.
And what is the width of an XJ?

Thanks Rawbrown, 'preciate the offer. The reason for this query (apart from my interest) is that we're leaving Dubai for South Africa. Being a right hand drive country I can't take my '97. I'm planning a build in SA but all the XJ's imported there have D35's. Shipping a 44 is financially out of the question so I'm trying to find some alternatives. I've already got gears and an ARB for a 8.25 and I'm thinking 32's or 33's (locked) so the 35 is out. I'd also be interested in the XJ track width.

Andre

Just needs to be after the rear discs were standard. The earlier Liberty's had rear drums. Autozone, Napa, and Oreilly all show that the brake parts for the 05+ Liberty's are not available yet.(except for the pads). Depending on where you are, you might find one in a junkyard, but I haven't found any yet. The local p-n-p has me on the call list if they get one.

DubaiXJ said:
Hippymill, discs came in on YM05 IIRC. Any other reasons why it would need to be out of a late model?

What I have found claims to be a 04, and it certainly has disc on it, or i would never have posed the question. Am i to believe at this point that if i clean off all the mount garbage that is on it as of now, and place the spring/axle pads on ocation that it will be a near direct swap? Hmm, interesting, are 3.73 gears available for the front 30 I now have?

Fabbing a rear coil set-up is well beyond my skills level. That said, it might be something to look into if I can find someone to help in SA.
I checked on the Libby discs - Definitely introduced on YM05 but YM05 build started in August 2004 so a '04 with discs is possible.
3.73 gears are available for the D30 from Mopar, Spicer and I assume many others.

Andre

If I knew it was as simple as it looks I would not have wasted everyones time and bandwidth with this, but- one more question; are the lugs on a Libby metric or standard?

91 Jeep Project said:
Waste of time, 44 center chunk with D35 tubes..........:gag:

And how is that different than the XJ 44. I had an XJ 44 in my parking lot for a while and it had the same 2 3/4" tubes as a standard D35. The only advantage the D44 has, besides the 30 splines, was the brakes were larger.

Hey Bob, as for the 3.73 gears for the D30 up front, try finding an XJ with the 2.8 V-6 in it. Donnie down the road has those gears as stock in his '85. They seems to be common, regardless of auto or manual trannies, in the V-6 XJ's.

Back