• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello... New to NWC

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hi my name is Brian. I just moved up to Everett, Wa from California trying to find a job. I was recently discharged from the US Army due to injuries received in Iraq. I have 2 xj's one street one for offroad. my offroad xj is an 87 with 2.5 ton rockwells,47inch LTB super swampers, coil overs, with a chevy 305. the fourlink and internal+exo cage is currently being built by MP's Custom rides http://www.mpscustomrides.com/
my street jeep is a 96 5speed with every little bolt on. 31's 3.5" RCX lift. it was clean until i took it out to walker valley yesterday and smoked a rocker.... should of waited for the offroad jeep to get up here =].

I am looking for a turbo350 tranny or a chevy 4speed if anyone knows where a cheap one is.
Anyway thats about it I look forward to wheeling with the NWC.

Welcome.
You can be our new trail leader for the snow run's ;)
We might put you in the back of the group for tight NW trails though :laugh3:

Look forward to meeting you and good luck with the job search.
Michael

Welcome Brian,
Can't wait to see your "mildly built" XJ:clap: and hopefully see you on
the trails(kinda hard to miss) but enjoy the snow and rain and have fun on the trails.

-PJ-

Welcome, if your heading up to Walker again after thanksgiving shoot me a PM. I seem to have lots of spare time and am only 40 min from there.;)

Also I'm having a trail run at Walker on Dec 6th, the thread might be a few pages back but check it out and feel free to join us.

-Alex

#1 Welcome. Chico is a great town. I attended a small party there back in the 80's = CSUC.... It is one of the few places in CA I would still enjoy living.

#2 Walker is notorious for rocker damage. Our favorite mod up here is to cut out your rockers and replace them with 3" x 6" square tube. Defenitely worth while ont he '96. Sounds like the trail rig would stand above and such damage anyways....

Thanks for the warm welcome =]. I dont think I'm going to go back up to walker until my other rig gets here. I'm a little upset i damaged my clean there there dont really want to risk anymore. My rig should be ready around Feb. there cutting off the front clip right now and reinforcing the sub frame. sucks im going to miss the snow season I haven't wheeled in snow for at least 4 years because i was in germany/iraq. ill take my open dif baby in the snow i guess. just no more walker valley way to narrow for me =P.
Once my rig is done i want to take it down to the Rubicon this spring i have yet to go through lil sluice. snapping my axle there in September inspired me to get the Rockwells going.

#1 Welcome. Chico is a great town. I attended a small party there back in the 80's = CSUC.... It is one of the few places in CA I would still enjoy living.

#2 Walker is notorious for rocker damage. Our favorite mod up here is to cut out your rockers and replace them with 3" x 6" square tube. Defenitely worth while ont he '96. Sounds like the trail rig would stand above and such damage anyways....

Chico isnt really the same anymore lol, it has about as much shootings as Compton. Ok maybe that's a little exaggeration

yeah my cousin took me there he said it was just "mudding" so i figured it would be some pits/tank trap type things he failed to mention it was narrow enough to rub the bushwacker flares on both sides. He also forgot to mention there was allot of logs and stumps to run over. stuff i wouldn't mind in the old jeep but i figured i was just going there to spin some doughnuts and get a little dirty

Chico isnt really the same anymore lol, it has about as much shootings as Compton. Ok maybe that's a little exaggeration

yeah my cousin took me there he said it was just "mudding" so i figured it would be some pits/tank trap type things he failed to mention it was narrow enough to rub the bushwacker flares on both sides. He also forgot to mention there was allot of logs and stumps to run over. stuff i wouldn't mind in the old jeep but i figured i was just going there to spin some doughnuts and get a little dirty

Reiter has some of the mudder stuff you are thinking of. But be aware: Most trails in the NW are tight and eat Bushwackers as a tiny little treat.

Sorry to hear that about Chico. I actually grew up in S h asta and Trinity Counties and watch the news there. I am surprised that Chico has gotten less inviting.

Last edited:
Yikes hopefully the rockwells will squeeze through it, I luckily didnt lose a bushwacker. I had them on my old jeep too but would take them off before going out. Lessons learned after knocking one off at the rubicon.

S h asta is a beautiful place though when i drove by there on the way up the lake was damn near empty.

I'm also working on this website http://www.norcaloffroad.net/ the name naturally will have to change because of the move. I'm slowly building it been a bit busy. If anyone wants to donate some trail or tech articles it would be more then welcome

Last edited:
Welcome Brian. Rockwells on an XJ? Cool and beefy, but likely too wide for a lot of our trails. There will still be plenty for you to play on though. Bring the stocker out on one of the mellower runs, we'll steer you away from the rocker-knockers.;)

Doug

Hopefully its not to wide I'll give it a shot though. I am really timid about the baby jeep and I don't have a spotter up here. My girlfriend said she would never ride with me again o_O

I think i actually kept my old one safer this lockers front and rear didnt have to throttle it as much as i do with open difs. the old one made it through the con twice only damage is a smoked rocker that happened on the second run because i snapped an axle and had to throttle it. to bad i sold those axles for the rockwells =P

Welcome to the NWC and Washington, Brian. Hope to wheel with you soon.

Rich

Thank you everyone cant wait to wheel with you all.

Back