• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hub assembly

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best way to get that damn spindle nut off. I already busted 2 crapsman breaker bars. I'm thinking an impact and torches is the only way. Heat it up and put the air power to it. I did one this summer on my ZJ and it was a PITA getting that damn nut off. The one on my XJ doesn't want to come.

Wow... I've never had problems with mine. But I guess that would be the next step. I don't see why a good impact gun wouldn't take care of it...

X whatever on the impact.
Breakers are nice and I do most everything wtih them.... but a 34mm nut ? Ingersoll, Baby!

any reason you need to separate the bearing from the axle shaft? only reason would be to replace the unit bearing itself. i generally remove the bearing and axle shafts in one assembly. i would only want to heat the bearing if i was replacing it. don't have to worry about re-torquing it either

You need something similar to this,I made mine from 2 Harbor Freight sockets and some 3/4"x3" flat stock.A little pressure and a good wack from a BFH and your done!
CPR012138.jpg

i broke a braker bar and 2, 3/4" ratches. the impact wasnt helping either. after soaking it for an hour with PB Blaster it came right off. never really thought that stuff was that good. but i say go soak it. drink a beer. impact off.

any reason you need to separate the bearing from the axle shaft? only reason would be to replace the unit bearing itself. i generally remove the bearing and axle shafts in one assembly. i would only want to heat the bearing if i was replacing it. don't have to worry about re-torquing it either
Yes U joint and bearings are out. Hub and bearing are on assembly.

Impact, and move to where stuff doesn't rust. :) Never had an issue with countless ones, of course I have a _GOOD_ impact.

impact nut off, bolt behind stub shaft and contacting the inner "c". Turn truck on, turn wheel, POW! Bearings out :gee:

Works in Ontario, same rust same bullshit

I got it all swapped out today. Good snap on breaker bar, impact, penetrating oil, and torches did the trick. Reassambled with antiseeze.

Man sounds like the thing was never apart.. Glad you got it.

Nick

Back