• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door vs 4 door

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I currently have a 4 door 5 speed XJ , but its floors are rotted to hell almost beyond repair, its a peice basically.

my mom told me should would keep on the lookout for a 5 speed xj for me since i really want a 5 speed rather than an auto.

so anyway she actually just won a 20 grand harley davidson in a raffle and she sold it so shes buying me a jeeep.

its a 94 or 95 2 door, 5 speed. And its teal. Couple of questions, does anyone have any pics of a 2 door color teal? And also besides the obvious lack of 2 doors, what is different on a 2 door than a 4 door?

93_xj said:
So I currently have a 4 door 5 speed XJ , but its floors are rotted to hell almost beyond repair, its a peice basically.

my mom told me should would keep on the lookout for a 5 speed xj for me since i really want a 5 speed rather than an auto.

so anyway she actually just won a 20 grand harley davidson in a raffle and she sold it so shes buying me a jeeep.

its a 94 or 95 2 door, 5 speed. And its teal. Couple of questions, does anyone have any pics of a 2 door color teal? And also besides the obvious lack of 2 doors, what is different on a 2 door than a 4 door?

Nothing is different for the most part; larger doors to compensate and different interior trims pieces for the same purpose. Everything else is the same.

19951.jpg

hey that isnt as bad of a color as i thought it would be

i still might think about painting it black but hey thanks for that image.

is there more legroom in the rear with a 2 door ?

i think the 2 and 4 doors are the same wheel base, just the 2 door is like 50 pounds lighter. i think.

I don't know if there's more legroom, but if you're tall the visibility is a bit better in a two door, because the window is bigger and the door jamb further back.

Watch out for door sag and hinge problems on 2-doors, and if you're in the habit of leaning on the door as you enter or exit, break the habit, and don't fling it open either. The doors are too heavy for the check mechanisms, causing the hinges to pull outward at the top. If it's good now, you can keep it that way with care. If it isn't mine the forum for 2 door hinge repair threads.

Rev Den said:
It is generally acknowledged by those "in the know" that the 2 door can outwheel the 4 door, and 2 door drivers are better looking.

Rev
That's why none of the 4doors got stuck here & look at the driver.:confused1 :wow: :spin1:
HPIM0284.jpg

JIM.

theres no more leg room in the back then with the 4 door just harder to get in to the back seat. ive (6'4") have riden in both behind my dad (6'7") with no probs except getting in and out of the 2 door not hard just more work

slingblade said:
theres no more leg room in the back then with the 4 door just harder to get in to the back seat. ive (6'4") have riden in both behind my dad (6'7") with no probs except getting in and out of the 2 door not hard just more work

Funny... I bought mine as a 2-door (ordered new) because (a) I feel the front doors on a 4-door are too small/pillar is in an akward place... and (b) I cound't conveniently get my feet in the tiny back doorway. IMHO it's EASIER to get in the back seat of a 2-door XJ... if you discount the fact that you've got to beg the front passenger for permission....

But, yeah... 2-doors AND their drivers do look better... :)

Den

hey i got a 2 door. only down fall is the doors fall off if you dont have them fixed. other than that there the same. and speeking of buying. i got my jeep for FREE. it was in my friends drive way for 2 yrs never touched. she started right up. they actually donated it to me. :)

90xj06 said:
hey i got a 2 door. only down fall is the doors fall off if you dont have them fixed. other than that there the same. and speeking of buying. i got my jeep for FREE. it was in my friends drive way for 2 yrs never touched. she started right up. they actually donated it to me. :)

Oh i loathe you :D i bought my jeep for 1700 with alot of things missing and had to drive to Jersey to get it. Luckily i had donor jeep who picked up the slack and put it where i want it.... i wish i had your friends

o ya i had my share of fixins like 2 front tires a battery, 6 injuectors, pressure reg, 2 filter's air ,fuel. egr solinoid and transducer. vac bottle. welded doors, antenna, wiperblades, starter radiator. coolant bottle ,heater, valve. and it only has 2203xx miles. so still more to come.

Its not quite teal, but it is a fairy blue color....

IMG_4452.jpg

I put a stroker in and seemed to run a little warmer, so I took a second hood and made a cowl scopp out of it and welded it to the stock hood.

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

Its painted blue now and matches the rest of the Jeep pretty good.

Last edited:
90xj06 said:

Yours was a '90 in 2006 (ish!).

Mine was a '00 in 1999.

I sure as heck paid for it!! But, aside from maintenance and upgrades, the only "repair" it's had thus far was a steering stabilizer. It's been good to me! (*knock!*)

Den

wait a minute....you mean those hatches behind my front doors are back doors?

seriously, the back doors on 4 doors are tiny. grew up riding in the back seat of an xj.

but the only thing that makes a 2 door wheel better than a 4 door is more room for stickers on those big ass windows. stickers make your jeep faster. :)

-Tim

Oizarod115 said:
but the only thing that makes a 2 door wheel better than a 4 door is more room for stickers on those big ass windows. stickers make your jeep faster. :)

-Tim

Nope.

Stay and learn you will young Jedi.

There are 2 very specific differences that make a 2 door FAR better for wheeling than a 4 door.

Rev

Back