• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCHOOL ME ON SNATCH BLOCKS

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
Is an 18,000 lbs rated snatch block enough for my Cherokee ? I have a Warn M8000 - If I understand correctly, I should only "need" a snatch block with a 16,000 lbs rating. Is that right ?

yes, iirc every time u put the cable through a block and to a different anchor point it doubles the strength maybe someone else that knows for sure will chime in, but i believe that is correct, the formula i have always used anyway

yes it's adequate.

Pirate 4x4 is an awesome resource for mods and builds, I keep it handy. And that snatch block should be good.

Is an 18,000 lbs rated snatch block enough for my Cherokee ? I have a Warn M8000 - If I understand correctly, I should only "need" a snatch block with a 16,000 lbs rating. Is that right ?

Your kidding.....right!! 18000lb rating would support THREE XJ's and some!!

The issue is that with the forces involved in a pully system + the fact that the XJ might be wedged into a rocky creek bed... you could easily exceed the vehicle's weight in effective load

The way to figure out a load on a pulley mathetmatically is hard, but you can just eyeball it. Basically if the cables are parallel, that's 2 times the mechanical advantage. The further apart they get, the less mechnical advantage (And thusly less load on the snatch block) you have.

The question is not whether it would support an XJ, but rather whether it could handle the maximum force exerted on it by the winch. 18K should be fine for a 2:1 system (rope out, through the pulley, and anchored back to your vehicle) with an 8K winch.

There is also the loss to friction in the pulley - I don't know what wire rope in a snatchblock does, exactly, but climbing rope through carabiners is about 30% loss if I recall. Figure with smoother line and bearing pulleys it might be 15% loss of pull.

I have 2 snatch blocks made by superwinch and they are rated for 22,000 LBS so it says on them...

A snatch block has a pulley on a bearing to reduce the friction. In a pinch I have used large d rings. Just make sure that its really rated what it states and not a some chinese special. In addation it would not be a bad idea to run spectra of the same diameter as your wire rope. Here spectra is cheaper and can be made to any length requested with whatever terminations are required.

Back