• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failing economy has officially hit the NW

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well as of two weeks ago I would have said I had great job security and im not worried, but as of today we did more lay-off's and it looks like my hours are gonna be cut here real soon! I would look for something better but there is really nothing! Just wondering how many out there are feeling it worse or as bad as me?

I work once a week.
:(

~Scott

Yeah, I'm definitely feeling it. Perhaps the RV industry isn't a great industry to be in. I think that was my problem. My company had been laying people off in the warehouse for a few weeks but so far, the drivers, including myself, were all safe. Unfortunately, last week, one of our biggest customers, Valley RV out in McMinnville closed down which really scared the crap out of everybody. They seemed to still be going strong and it really was a shock to everybody in the industry. Based on that, the decided to lay me off.
It sucks but I guess there's not much I can do. I kept my uniform jacket =)

My dealership has laid off 12 people in the last 3 months. We've slowed down considerably, but have stayed relatively safe in the shop. We did have a service dept meeting last week where we were told yes, things suck, but everything is going to be ok, and no changes will be made right now. Pretty much Management saying CYA, and get your shit inline because you may be next. Most of the dealerships locally have trimmed their service depts by 4-7 people.
-Ryan
-

It's falling all around. Brush up on domestic skills. Build a greenhouse. Stock up on your supplies. Fuel is going to head back up and the jobs are going to wear thin... My concern is that when fuel goes up, food goes up and availability of simple things starts to weaken.

Buy cheap, stack deep.

It's falling all around. Brush up on domestic skills. Build a greenhouse. Stock up on your supplies. Fuel is going to head back up and the jobs are going to wear thin... My concern is that when fuel goes up, food goes up and availability of simple things starts to weaken.

Buy cheap, stack deep.

Welcome to Perfection, NV.

As for jobs: Most places are only trimming back. As noted CYA, but if you've been the slacker all along don't be surprised if your number is already drawn. It's pretty rare to hear the boss say "well I was going to let John Doe go but he's really turned around the last couple of days so I'll lay off the reliable guy instead". All that work that those dealers did is going to go somewhere when it returns to the market and the number of capable places has shrunk. Waiting the market out will be tough but it will return. The NW is one of the few places on the list of being the best positioned for the turn around. In other words we haven't been hit as hard as most places.

It has definetly hit me, i work in industrial construction and i also work in a division of our company that does alot of work in oil refineries and oil storage area's (tank farms), and i have not had steady work for at least 3 months, i am just grateful that i get a little bit of work just to keep the rent paid! it is slowly starting to pick up in the refineries though, i get to go back to work on monday:clap:

so far i am still employed....(knock on wood)

we have cut 30+ employees since May. (and we only typically have 200 max) with more to come soon....

it's everywhere !!!!

im a painter, mostly residential. you can imagine what being a painter and winter would be like. so far we have a pant load of houses lined up subing for a company that buys forclosures and has rentals. i sure hope things stay as good as thay are.

They're talking layoffs here, but not so much in commercial production at this point. If we get a rash of customers delaying or cancelling orders, it'll hit us too. Personally, I've been here since Christ was a corporal, so I should be fine. Worst case scenario I may have to go back to swing shift, but that beats being out of a job.

It's still early in our regional downturn, so the worst is yet to come.:(

Been out of work since February...beat that...lol j/k! I've been in school/college since May 2008. Had some unfinished credits at a local Portland college...so thought instead of wasting time on my (getting fat) butt, let's go to school. Since I've started school, I've watched the economy just go south in my auto industry paying position. I do not see a future for me soon in the auto industry, so school it is.

As has been said before our area has not been hit nearly as hard as others and is likely to re-bound better than most, all of which is good for most of us.

My customer base is reasonably diversified but all of my larger customers production rates are down so money is tighter because of it. On the other hand it has also provided more opportunities and pushed me to look in other areas for new developing customers. In a nut shell I am working harder, selling the same, but for much less money :twak: On the other hand, once the economy starts to take back off I will be in a great position.

A couple things to consider. IF you were one of the few people who hasn't in debted yourself to the hilt, refinanced your homes, maxed out your credit cards, and still has a good stable job there are LOTS of opportunities around for killer deals everywhere you look (homes, cars, stock market, etc). IF you were one of the many who has debted yourself to the hilt, refinanced your homes, maxed out your credit cards, and is concerned about loosing your job, Good Luck, I believe this is exactly how we got here :smsoap:.

Michael

A couple things to consider. IF you were one of the few people who hasn't in debted yourself to the hilt, refinanced your homes, maxed out your credit cards, and still has a good stable job there are LOTS of opportunities around for killer deals everywhere you look (homes, cars, stock market, etc). IF you were one of the many who has debted yourself to the hilt, refinanced your homes, maxed out your credit cards, and is concerned about loosing your job, Good Luck, I believe this is exactly how we got here :smsoap:.

Michael

X2

Luckely I my parents have the money to cover my school, and still had my old room empty. I got my General contractors licence in march. By june, I had no work because al the contractors that have been building million dollar homes started bidding out my jobs. I am going to school to be a teacher. Decent job security there.

Back