• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help-4H to 2wd clunk

ks3286

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 Cherokee Classic 6cyl automatic with part time 4 wheel drive. It goes into 4 wheel drive with no problems, however when disengaging from 4H to 2wd It waits several seconds and makes a loud thunk like the front end was just ripped out. Any ideas on what could be causing my issue? Going to check the fluids this weekend.

Last edited:
We had this problem with an XJ, and the solution for us was to adjust the linkage between the 4wd shifting lever and the transfter case. Underneath the vehicle, there's a rod maybe 1.5ft long that attaches to the handle on one end, and the other end attaches to another rod sticking out of the transmission which levers a third rod which connects back to the transfter case. Where rod 1 (handle rod) connects to rod 2 (transmission rod), there's a bolt 13mm I think, that is used for adjustments. On my 96 XJ, and on a friends 98, the amount of extra that sticks out beyond that adjustment bolt, was about 1.25 inches. If that bolt isn't tight enough, it may shift fine one way, and then loosen going the other direction. That fixed the problem with our vehicle, I hope it helps(if that's it, it's really not as complicated as I made it sound). Good luck.

Back