• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need opinions on wheels/tires

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I have TJ Canyon Wheels with 30 x9.5 x 15 Definity Dakota tires. Only about 1k miles on them. I already want bigger. LOL
Anyways, I found a deal locally for some 05 Rubicon wheels with 31" goodyear mtr's that have 90-95% tread left. $500 for this set.
I am hoping I could get most of that $500 back by selling my wheels and tires on craigslist. So is this worth it to do or am I just wasting my time? I know the tires are only adding a 1/2" to the sidewall so it won't be a huge change.

well, the mtrs are a nice tire, so that would also be an upgrade. and both wheels look real nice IMO, depending on exactly what the jeep is, IMO sometimes the canyons look better, sometimes the rubi's do. Also keep in mind the fact that the rubi wheels are 16s, so when they do wear out, and you go to replace them, you will have less options and they will be more expensive. I'd say maybe post up your wheels/tires for sale, and see what you get for offers. if someone is willing to give you the $500, or at least come close, you can make out pretty well, i suppose.... I'd say overall, its a coin toss in my personal opinion...

Yeah its a tough decision. I really like the Rubicons though and I don't think I'll be happy until I have that wheel. LOL I guess I am looking to make sure there isn't a huge downside to this. I didn't think about the 16" tires. Not a huge deal for me though.

ya the tread pattern will be a more noticable difference then the size....i say go bigger then go 33's :)

UH, oh I might have an issue. I just called him to verify the size because he kept saying 31's and I don't see 16's in a 31" size. The size of the tires is 245-75-16. Those are not much bigger than what I have now. :tears:

I wonder if I should get them anyways. I mean the wheels will look great. I could always order some treadwright retreads in the future to replace these.

i would stick with the 15's options for tire sizes is much better...and generally cheaper...plus if you buy used a lot more vehicles have 15's factory

I thin your right. I want these, but the 245's really do me no good. My next tire needs to have around a 31.5" diameter. in4aride thanks for keeping me in check.

ha no prob...i work at a tire shop....so ya...32x11.50 are a good size if you want to look bigger but not so much size wise...
also...getting tires like mud terrains with tread on sidewall gives tires a much more aggresive and 'larger' look...IMO

ALSO.....
dont be afraid to run smaller brands...
firestone and big o are two good examples....both offer FREE tire protection plans...I.E. flat repairs and if unrepairable free replacement...
i runn 33x12.50r15 big o X/T's....some people give me crap cuz it says big o on the side....but i paid a hell of a lot less for them...got the coverage for free and they do DAMN well..
gotten up a few places on 25psi that guys with front.rear lockers with beadlocks and MTR 37's didnt...

changing tread is just as important as size...44" slicks wont do a damn thing for ya...but meaty 31's will :)

I really want mt's, but I also drive on the highway a good amount. Probably about 200-250 miles a week. Right now the jeep rides kinda crappy on the highway anyways, so I do you think the MT's will do okay? As long as they are not way louder than at's.

some a/t's are louder than my x/t's....
just depends on the tire...ask around to people that run different tires....
BFG and pro comp M/T's are not so loud where as iver heard some crazy loud MTR's.....
get an aggressive all terrain then...
i drive my jeep(when my transmittion doesnt poop out on me) 25 miles each way to work 6 days a week.....thats over 300 miles a week when you count in the trips to trails and what not...

Back