• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 Swap Question

trd_xj42

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of swapping in a Waggy 44. I'm using Ballistic Fab's bracket kit. What I would like to know is what have you that have done this swap set your coil bucket angle to. I know this is somewhat open ended since every Jeep is different but I was hoping for a ballpark figure.

Little info...4.5" lift, I cut and turned the knuckles 6 degrees. If I've leaving anything out let me know.
TIA

What you should do is set the axle up in the orientation with the correct pinion angle you are going to do, then put the coil buckets on at 0*. Thats what I did with my TNT truss/brackets.

What you should do is set the axle up in the orientation with the correct pinion angle you are going to do, then put the coil buckets on at 0*. Thats what I did with my TNT truss/brackets.

0* to what? The ground or in relation to the top coil mount?
This is something I was just debating myself this weekend while setting up my D60. I ended up with 3.5* to the ground, which was about 1.5* off of relation to the top mount. Seems to me that if I had set it to 0* to the ground, the coil would be forced to flex and deform under normal ride if captured correctly. Setting it up the way I've got it seems to put the coil under not bending force while also not being at such an angle to the ground as to the axle tries to force itself out to the front. If that is not clear I can draw up a quick sketch.

Thats just my thoughts and it is currently just tacked until I thought about it more during this week. I'd love to hear your reasoning behind your setup.

I bolted some stock spring to the "bucket" for mock up, and since they aren't flat bottom coils there is going to be some lean to it depending on how they get positioned. I found that it appears to be about 5 - 6 degrees to correct that. If I angled the mount back about 3.5 degrees like you did I think that would work pretty good, the coil would still lean back slightly but I think that is what I want. I won't get to check it out until after the holiday though.

RCman, are the buckets you're using flat or do they actually have a seat to them, similar to stock? I dig your build up, good stuff.

Are the TNT coil buckets flat? Do the newer truss assemblies come as one piece with coil buckets attached, how are they positioned?

I'm probably over thinking this, but any input would be appreciated.

I didn't use the TnT truss, but I think you don't need to worry about the coil angle, rather you need to set caster and pinion angle, and let the coils fall naturally when the axle is under the rig. I set my caster at 4.5 degress, the pinion angle was then acceptable, slid it under the rig and tacked the coil mounts in where the coils dictated they should be :dunno:

I bolted some stock spring to the "bucket" for mock up, and since they aren't flat bottom coils there is going to be some lean to it depending on how they get positioned. I found that it appears to be about 5 - 6 degrees to correct that. If I angled the mount back about 3.5 degrees like you did I think that would work pretty good, the coil would still lean back slightly but I think that is what I want. I won't get to check it out until after the holiday though.
Exactly my thought process while I was setting up mine.
RCman, are the buckets you're using flat or do they actually have a seat to them, similar to stock?
Are the TNT coil buckets flat? Do the newer truss assemblies come as one piece with coil buckets attached, how are they positioned?
Mine is a T&T setup. The mounts are flat. You can get it anyway you want, mine came all setup as one unit. If I was to do it again I wouldn't go the same route. While the T&T unit is nice I feel it is way overpriced for what it is. I'd build my own next time.
I dig your build up, good stuff.
Thanks! It is getting there...
I'm probably over thinking this, but any input would be appreciated.
Thats kinda what I was worried about and why I'm currious as to why Begster set his at 0*.
I didn't use the TnT truss, but I think you don't need to worry about the coil angle, rather you need to set caster and pinion angle, and let the coils fall naturally when the axle is under the rig. I set my caster at 4.5 degress, the pinion angle was then acceptable, slid it under the rig and tacked the coil mounts in where the coils dictated they should be :dunno:
Well when you have everything off and can position it anyway you want, why not worry about it?
I know this is a little different from what you guys are doing but I got my pinion angle set 1.5* lower than the t-case output and I got the caster set to 3.5*. If mine was street driven I'd have probably spent the time rotating the C's to get a little more caster and get the pinion spot on, but I feel it will be fine they way it is now.

Going from what I've read 5* or 6* caster would be good. Setting a my 44 up like that would have given me 6* pinion angle so I cut and turned the knuckles to give me the best of both worlds. I don't have everything to assemble the 44 right now so I'm reluctant to take out the 30 just to mock up the springs.

I'm sure lots of setups would work, it's just that I would like it to drive nice since it is a DD.
I think angling them back, slightly less than the uppers makes the most sense. Thanks for the input.

Back