• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd row bucket seats. f the bench

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
well im redoing my interior. and this is on the list. i have seen this somewhere on here but not for a long time. was originally going to try a 60/40 split bench but decided on just 2 buckets with a center console that ties into the storage box im building.. any idears..>

thanks guys
keith h

but how...and whos done it
sorry guys i have been searching and sorta found what im looking for. should have been in modified anyway but figured most of you guys with buggys have done this.

Last edited:
just tear out the rear seats and you'll see what you have to work with
any seats could be made to work with some simple fab work
your choice of seat is up to you...heated would be nice

I've been thinking of this, however using the Beard Seats for kids and put 3 back there as I have three kids. I will mount mine higher so there is plenty of room to see over the front passengers heads. I can't see out the back window anyway due to my spare.

http://www.redart.com/

Matt

I was going to do this on mine. The problem I ran into was the hump that is bellow the back portion of the seat and aft of the bottom portion. I was going to put in a MasterCraft bucket/bench seat. They would have custom built the seat to the width I wanted. I could not find a way to get it to fit properly. If you built the floor up to get the seat to sit above the hump it was to high to sit in and if you pushed the seat forward in front of the hump there was no leg room for anyone to sit in the back seat.

Seems pretty obvious.
You either cut out the 4" or so lip that runs from the floor or, if there's enough head room, just weld in a plate from that lip back to create a platform to mount to.
You'll have to move the stuff thats mounted there to another location.

Silverstreak01 said:
so if i completly make a flat surface to work with, out of ? and mount the brackets to that will the seats be to high?
This aint rocket science.

tape-measure.jpg

I think it comes with instructions.

Silverstreak01 said:
so if i completly make a flat surface to work with, out of ? and mount the brackets to that will the seats be to high?

Yes they will. I have gone down that road. They will not work.\ unless you are like 3 feet tall.

I haven't taken measurments yet, but if a regular bench will fit height wise why is there a problem with buckets? Especially if you are doing 2 buckets. It stands to reason that if there was a hump in the middle the bucket would be on either side.

Put the bucket on the garage floor
Have somebody sit in it
Measure from the floor to the top of their head.
Add 2-3 inches
Make brackets accordingly

Doesn't seem like socket rience.

My problem is getting narrow enough seats to fit 3 across for the kids. That is where the Beard seats fit in.

Matt

hadfield4wd said:
I haven't taken measurments yet, but if a regular bench will fit height wise why is there a problem with buckets? Especially if you are doing 2 buckets. It stands to reason that if there was a hump in the middle the bucket would be on either side.

Put the bucket on the garage floor
Have somebody sit in it
Measure from the floor to the top of their head.
Add 2-3 inches
Make brackets accordingly

Doesn't seem like socket rience.

My problem is getting narrow enough seats to fit 3 across for the kids. That is where the Beard seats fit in.

Matt

It's not the hump in the middle. If you pull the lower portion of the back seat out you will see that it sits lower then the back are of the XJ. That's why an Xj back seat is two pieces. The back portion of the seat sits on the raised ledge that causes you to have the seat to far forward or if you build it up to high.

I've had a single bucket in the back for about a year. I've then since (two weeks ago) changed it out and put a lower profile racing seat in the middle with a harness for my little one.
RearSeat.jpg

mingo said:
I've had a single bucket in the back for about a year. I've then since (two weeks ago) changed it out and put a lower profile racing seat in the middle with a harness for my little one.
RearSeat.jpg

Will a full size adult fit in the seat and not smack their head? That seat looks way high.

just take it out and choose your passengers carefully...

in removing the rear seat and rear carpit, you'll save 55lbs... :D

Cruzin Illusion said:
Will a full size adult fit in the seat and not smack their head? That seat looks way high.

I did it mainly for my little girl. Now that shes out grown the car seat w/the harness. I put in the racing seat.
A small adult would fit, but not someone over 5'10" or so.

i done it.. got one from a 2 door so it folds forward if i need to fit somthing. theres plenty of head room and enouf leg room as long as your not 6'5

buckets1mf3.jpg

buckets2xu0.jpg

buckets3jb4.jpg">

Back