• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd noise

kumes12688

NAXJA Forum User
I went wheeling yesterday and half way through the day my car began making a wierd noise in four wheel drive. When i got back on the pavement, i could still hear it. It sounded like it was coming from the front right tire. it sounded like a huming noise that was slightly high pitched when i accelerated and once i hit about 35 mph i didn't hear it anymore, only when i accelerated. I put it in 2wd and i don't hear anything. What could this be?

It sounds like something is caught between the rotor and backing plate. Like maybe a small rock or mud with gravel in it, or maybe your backing plate is bent into the rotor.

You would hear that at all times if it went away in 2wd then obviously its a drive line issue. Just weird that it went away in 2wd if its driveline though. All your driveline continues to rotate in 2wd. Possibly something in the t-case with the chain or shift fork perhaps. How hard did you wheel?

check the oil in your tcase. i had all kinds of weird noises from mine do to lack of oil and as it turns out a bad seal, 2 cracks, and posibly a bad bearing.

Back