• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rods and Tank Skids

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I recently culled a set of V8 ZJ coils, a tie rod, and I have a chance to get a tank skid. Two questions:

1. I have read posts about the tie rod being "flipped"? what does that mean?
2. The tank skid needs modification (e.g. drilling). What else would I need to modify to fit it to a '00 XJ?

Oh, and how much lift can I expect from the ZJ coils and will this provide a stiffer ride?

thanks

ZJ coils will give you about 1.5" I added two extra coil Isolators and it gave me about 3". I also used the tie rod and it was direct bolt in. I don't know what you mean by flipped. For the skid you'll need the nut strip for inside the frame rail.

for the dana 30 to flip the zj tie rod over you must drill out the top of the hole on the knuckle and then buy the weld in insert. you cant just drill it out and you cant just flip it either. theres a company that sells these inserts for 20$. its a reasonable upgrade, just have a good welder. i looked at this for a while and will do it eventually myself after the endless array parts sitting in the garage get installed.

The big problem here is using the word FLIP. What are you flipping? Are you rotating the tie rod upside down, or are you reversing the tie rod section left to right (drivers side to passenger side) or are you calling the move from under knuckle to top of knuckle a flip?

I just picked up a ZJ tie rod/ drag link assy. Frankly it looks like it may fit exactly as it is. The only question May be interference with the sway bar mount with the steering turned.

The link to the SOXJA page was OK, but he leaves out a couple CRITICAL points. There is a very poor explaination of flip (see above) and no reason as to why he does it. He starts out articulating the same concern I mention (sway bar mount interference) but doesnt say what the fix is. It is left for us to assume the fix to the sway bar problem is why he decided to "flip" the tie rod section left to right. And if thats the case, does the reversing of the tie rod fix the problem without having to remove and replace the lower sway bar mount? Keep in mind that the ZJ tie rod is not a straight section as is the XJ rod.

I may have a confusing statement in there. The "fit exactly as it is" part is assuming the drill and reverse taper the knuckle to result in over-the-knuckle on the drivers side.

I would guess the ZJ assy will fit with no mods if you want under knuckle installation.

Back