• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5 RC lift.

if you bumpstop properly, and trim your fenders, then yes.

I have an RC front lift in my 87 MJ (same parts as the XJ), and I rub with 33's...BUT i removed all of the bumpstops prior to that run, and went with longer travel shocks and brake hoses.

it's all about bumpstopping and trimming.

oh...and I would NEVER suggest 12.50's for an xj. way too wide.

if you bumpstop properly, and trim your fenders, then yes.

I have an RC front lift in my 87 MJ (same parts as the XJ), and I rub with 33's...BUT i removed all of the bumpstops prior to that run, and went with longer travel shocks and brake hoses.

it's all about bumpstopping and trimming.

oh...and I would NEVER suggest 12.50's for an xj. way too wide.

I think the first part of this post made sense well enough... But would you mind explaining why a 12.50 is "way too wide" for XJ's??? I, and many others, run them and love it. My Jeep performs great as it is with the 12.50s. Now, before you may say well once you're running tires in the 37" range it's a different story... I went from a 33x12.50 TSL to a 34x10.50 and missed the wide footprint given by the 12.50s....So, just wondering why it's such a terrible thing for an XJ????

And, to the OP, I've got 6.5" and 37s no problem. Like jeepcomj said, with a little trimming and bumpstopping you'll be fine, no doubt. If I were planning to run 35s, personally I'd keep the lift a little lower and cut/bumpstop more to keep a lower CoG. How much are you willing to trim and/or bumpstop? and What kind of wheeling do you do or plan to do?

The short answer to your initial question isssssssss. Yes. :)

I think the first part of this post made sense well enough... But would you mind explaining why a 12.50 is "way too wide" for XJ's??? I, and many others, run them and love it. My Jeep performs great as it is with the 12.50s. Now, before you may say well once you're running tires in the 37" range it's a different story... I went from a 33x12.50 TSL to a 34x10.50 and missed the wide footprint given by the 12.50s....So, just wondering why it's such a terrible thing for an XJ????

12.50 requires a hell of alot more backspacing and bumpstop and trimming, and rub left to right pretty much no matter what. they destroy fenders 10x as easy when flexing, and to a person who's not mechanically inclined enough to make the modifications to the vehicle in order to run the 12.50's, I wouldn't recommend them.

on the flip side, if you don't give a damn about slicing up your tires on your fenders, or rubbing all over the place and destroying your body by simply flexing, go for it

12.50 requires a hell of alot more backspacing and bumpstop and trimming, and rub left to right pretty much no matter what. they destroy fenders 10x as easy when flexing, and to a person who's not mechanically inclined enough to make the modifications to the vehicle in order to run the 12.50's, I wouldn't recommend them.

on the flip side, if you don't give a damn about slicing up your tires on your fenders, or rubbing all over the place and destroying your body by simply flexing, go for it

i have a 3" lift and 36x13.5" wide tires and my tires arent sliced. my jeep must be magic

I've got the RC 6.5 and 33's fit really well. Would have to trim a lot to not rub on 35's. Also, my 12.50's are fine.

:shocked: :shocked: Got any pics?

he ran the 37" creepies i have now on that lift prior to me buying them from him... it's true, i'm vouching for it haha. :viking:

i have a 3" lift and 36x13.5" wide tires and my tires arent sliced. my jeep must be magic

and, you have close to zero flex and a heck of alot of bumpstop with those tires. you also have almost no backspacing.

I'm saying that 12.50's make it harder for the average joe to deal with mechanically.

this is my personal experience. I don't like 12.50's because I like my flex, and hate cutting up a perfectly good body.

also, floating tires suck in snow, and are only good in the mud if they're MUD TIRES. they're also harder to keep seated on the rim (assuming you're not running a 7" rim with 13.50 tires in the interest of normal tread wear)

we're all entitled to our opinions, and because we all like our rigs to be done our way, that's fine. My thing is clean rigs, and lack of body damage...they still get used and abused, but I take every precaution possible.

and, you have close to zero flex and a heck of alot of bumpstop with those tires. you also have almost no backspacing.

:shhh::shhh::shhh:

bumpstops, sure. "zero flex"??? c'mon....

zero up-travel.

what kind of shocks and control arms are you running to get that much down-travel?

you're still not getting my point, but I've got yours.

longarmed with cheapo shocks for a 4.5" lift (just shy of 10" travel)

maybe not as much uptravel as you, but i think i have "enough"

n833730030_1594227_697.jpg

n42500460_31431272_4501.jpg

ride height
n42500460_31431254_8596.jpg

Last edited:
I am planning on running a 33/12.50 in front and a 33/14.50 swamper ssr in the rear for floating in the snow I have ran the 33/14.50 on my landcruser in the snow and pulled out LOTS AND LOTS of the tall skinny tire guys cuse they sink to the drive train/frame and become unmobile snow melters.

I am planning on running a 33/12.50 in front and a 33/14.50 swamper ssr in the rear for floating in the snow I have ran the 33/14.50 on my landcruser in the snow and pulled out LOTS AND LOTS of the tall skinny tire guys cuse they sink to the drive train/frame and become unmobile snow melters.

I completely agree. Mud tires such as the super swampers do GREAT in deep snow.

they suck to drive on pavement with snow though :( a buddy lost an xj because the tires couldn't bite well enough...and those were only 31x11.5 superswampers. that thing did wonders in deep snow though.

zero up-travel.

what kind of shocks and control arms are you running to get that much down-travel?

you're still not getting my point, but I've got yours.

No, I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I do understand what your saying about preferring not to cut fenders and whatnot, you just like the clean untouched body look. And that's fine. I was just pointing out that when you run 3" and 37s, it can and will still flex plenty good. Sure, by bumpstopping you're losing some uptravel, but what's that mean? A lower RTI score? Not a big deal to me...I'd say the performance lost there is gained back tenfold by the much lower CoG you have.

To each his own, whatever works for you works :cheers:

that's fine...I put 33's on a stock cherokee, and it looked pretty clean after it was all finished off. the COG was great, but I just like taller rigs too.

but, I'm building a show truck too so maybe I like sally rigs. idk. my 87 MJ at 6.5" with RC lift and 33x10.50 performs awesome.

I had 5.5" on 35's and wont do that again.

Loving the COG of my 4.5" lift on these 35's.

And Ill vouch for KTM, hes got some flex.

This was his old jeep with the same suspension on 37" Boggers...

SamOnJeep2.jpg

Back