• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Seats?

originalxj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed aftermarket seats? Not the Mastercraft that are designed to be installed in a XJ, but say a Bestop and have to fab bracketry to install. I really like those Bestop Trailmax seats, I can do the fab work as well, I was looking for feedback on what others have done. For instance is it easier to fab from the ground up or is it better to start with TJ, or CJ brakets and modify?

Thanks!

something I am thinking about doing is installing some ZJ seats as (correct me if I am wrong) I have been told they are alittle more comfy and supportive

I'm getting ready to install custom seats in an 87. I'm planning on starting with the factory brackets. If you never pulled an XJ seat, the drivers seat has a pretty funky mount because of the bulge for the t-case. A TJ, YJ, or XJ mount wouldn't fit in there. Also, just for entertainment, the XJ seats(at least on the '87) are curved, not flat, and won't fit on a wrangler bracket anyway.

The seat mounts might be similar to a Grand Cherokees, does anyone know?

I currently have seats from a Limited (leather) in my 91' Sport. Basically they just bolted in. But I don't want to go factory again, I think the aftermarket seats are a better quality and are firmer. You're correct on the driver's side being odd. Maybe start with the factory XJ bracket and go from there?

Feedback?

.....,But I don't want to go factory again, I think the aftermarket seats are a better quality and are firmer.... Maybe start with the factory XJ bracket and go from there?

Feedback?
That's what I have in mind.

One of the suspension style seats fabed onto the factory floor bracket.

I have these seats in mine. what you have to do I cut the brackets that bolt to the floor and reuse them. For the back you need to flip the back two brackets around so they line up with the floor bolts and the railings. For the front get a piece of think angled steel and put it on top of the front bracket to widen it to the new frome rails.
The new seats will sit lower, so I used some plastic deck raiser to raise the seat.
Also the driver side frame will hit the T-case bubble, so you either need to raise it over it or pound a dent into the metal.

I have subaru WRX seats in my XJ, they are a tight fit but feel alot better then stock. What I did was unbolt the brackets and sliders from the stock seats and weld them onto the WRX seats, took a few hours per side and some pieces of 1/8th inch steel.

-Alex

untitled.jpg

Look hard and you can see the stock sliders and what I welded/ bolted onto them to make them work for the WRX seats.
untitled3.jpg

untitled1.jpg

How they fit:
untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled2.jpg

-Alex

Back