• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire chart..or mathmatical equation thingy..

Grifter144

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i saw it around here once..it was a good write up/explanation of how you convert back and forth between the metric sizing ie 235 75 r15 vs a 31x9.5x15 tire..looked around a bit and didnt find it..can some one throw up a quick explanation for me..

believe it or not i went tire pricing today for the girls zj which i running an almost bald tires that i dont wanna see her riding in the snow on and the guy at the shop (sears had a decent soundsing sale on bridgestone dueler apt 3's) looked at me like a deer in the headlights when i said i was looking for a price on a full set of 30x9.5 15's installed...now seeing as i am not a math wiz either, i didnt know how to figure it out myself, so here i am to learn so teach away..

thanks

Grifter

edit sorry i guess this shoulda gone on other tech..admin please move if need be..thanks..

Reading metric tyre sizes...

"P225/75R15"

The first number (225) corresponds to the width of the tyre tread, in millimetres. Divide by 25.4 to get inches.

The second number (75) is the "aspect ratio" of the tyre - the theoretical height of the sidewall as a percentage of tread width.

The third number is, of course, the rim nominal diameter.

Breaking it down again...

225/25.4 = 8.858" (width of tyre tread.)
8.858" x .75 = 6.6435" (single sidewall height.)
6.6435" + 6.6435" + 15" = 28.287" (twice single sidewall height + rim diameter.)

So, a P225/75R15 would roughly correspond to a 28x9-15.

Make sense?

5-90

5-90 as usual you are a plethera of information...i am beginning to think you are a bloody computer rather than a human..

langer.. are you in need of a education to? please read the first 4 words in 5-90's response post.

235/75/r15 is not a Metric size, 5-90 used p225/75/15 which is metric.

What's the difference between the tire sizes of P225/60R16 and 225/60R16? The obvious answer is the "P" in front of the first size, but just what does the "P" stand for and what does it tell us about the tires?
P-metric sized tires are the ones with the "P" at the beginning of the tire size, (such as P225/60R16 listed above). They were introduced in the United States in the late 70s and are installed on vehicles primarily used to carry passengers including cars, station wagons, sport utility vehicles and even light duty pickup trucks. Their load capacity is based on an engineering formula which takes into account their physical size (the volume of space for air inside the tire) and the amount of air pressure (how tightly the air molecules are compressed). Since all P-metric sizes are all based on the formula for load, vehicle manufacturers can design their new vehicles (weights and wheelwell dimensions) around either existing or new tire sizes.
Metric or Euro metric sized tires are the ones without the "P" at the beginning, (such as 185R14 or the 225/60R16 listed above). Using metric dimensions to reflect a tire's width actually began in Europe in the late 60s. However, since Euro metric sizes have been added over time based on the load and dimensional requirements of new vehicles, the tire manufacturers designed many new tire sizes and load capacities around the needs of new vehicles. Not quite as uniform as creating sizes using a formula, but they got the job done.
Euro metric and P-metric tires in the same size (i.e. P225/60R16 & 225/60R16) are equivalent in their dimensions with just slight differences in their load capacity calculations and inflation pressure tables. So if Euro metric and P-metric tires have the same numeric size, the same tire performance category and the same speed rating, the two are considered equivalent and interchangeable if used in axle pairs or sets of four. Simply continue to follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures provided in the vehicle's owner's manual or on the vehicle tire placard (usually found on the door jamb or on the glovebox or counsel door) for either size tire.

265/75/15r ='s 30.6 x 10.4 / 15r roughly.

270/75/15r ='s 30.9 x 10.6 / 15r roughly.

Also depends on brand and what tires. Advertised height is usually off some. After figuring those out I went on Bridgestones website and for 15's the closest you're going to get is the 31x10.5

Unless you want the P255/70 R15 which is 29.1 X 10

Ok, now since I probably did that all wrong, someone can correct me.
Also, if he has those on sell, see if they qualify for Bridgestones Rebate offer they have going on right now.
Good luck man.

langer1 said:

What's the difference between the tire sizes of P225/60R16 and 225/60R16? The obvious answer is the "P" in front of the first size, but just what does the "P" stand for and what does it tell us about the tires?
P-metric sized tires are the ones with the "P" at the beginning of the tire size, (such as P225/60R16 listed above). They were introduced in the United States in the late 70s and are installed on vehicles primarily used to carry passengers including cars, station wagons, sport utility vehicles and even light duty pickup trucks. Their load capacity is based on an engineering formula which takes into account their physical size (the volume of space for air inside the tire) and the amount of air pressure (how tightly the air molecules are compressed). Since all P-metric sizes are all based on the formula for load, vehicle manufacturers can design their new vehicles (weights and wheelwell dimensions) around either existing or new tire sizes.
Metric or Euro metric sized tires are the ones without the "P" at the beginning, (such as 185R14 or the 225/60R16 listed above). Using metric dimensions to reflect a tire's width actually began in Europe in the late 60s. However, since Euro metric sizes have been added over time based on the load and dimensional requirements of new vehicles, the tire manufacturers designed many new tire sizes and load capacities around the needs of new vehicles. Not quite as uniform as creating sizes using a formula, but they got the job done.
Euro metric and P-metric tires in the same size (i.e. P225/60R16 & 225/60R16) are equivalent in their dimensions with just slight differences in their load capacity calculations and inflation pressure tables. So if Euro metric and P-metric tires have the same numeric size, the same tire performance category and the same speed rating, the two are considered equivalent and interchangeable if used in axle pairs or sets of four. Simply continue to follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures provided in the vehicle's owner's manual or on the vehicle tire placard (usually found on the door jamb or on the glovebox or counsel door) for either size tire.

"P" means "passenger car tyre" - I don't recall any others, but I think there are two other letters used up front. The "R" means "radial tyre" - it could be replace with a "B" for "bias ply tyre."

The "P" in P225/75R-15 is roughly equivalent to the "LT" in "31x10.5-15LT" - where the "LT" means "Light Duty Truck." (Meaning roughly equivalent as a symbol - not as a duty rating.) As we all probably know, but I will do for the purposes of illustration, the "31x10.5-15LT" breaks down as follows...

31 - 31" nominal tyre rolling diameter (can vary a bit - for instance, BFG 31's are actually 30.8")
10.5 - Tread width. In this case, 10.5" nominal (can also vary a touch.)
15 - Tyre for 15" diameter wheel.
LT - Light Truck service tyre.

Grifter - I'm not a computer, although I do have several. I just spent most of my formative years working on this stuff, and most of it stuck...

5-90

P225/75R-15 5-90 is correct in all calculations the R after 75 indicates Radal Ply. In Canada LT usually precedes LT225/75R-15. I Know several times I have attempted purchase tires either for the Jeep or the F150 when the paper work was being done it was explicitly explained to me that waranty will not apply because I was purchasing P (passenger rated tires) and installing them on a Light Truck.

I think the 31 is not the roll out or circumference, it is the overall height, distance across tire and rim.

meaded said:
P225/75R-15 5-90 is correct in all calculations the R after 75 indicates Radal Ply. In Canada LT usually precedes LT225/75R-15. I Know several times I have attempted purchase tires either for the Jeep or the F150 when the paper work was being done it was explicitly explained to me that waranty will not apply because I was purchasing P (passenger rated tires) and installing them on a Light Truck.

I think the 31 is not the roll out or circumference, it is the overall height, distance across tire and rim.

The "31" is "nominal rolling diameter" - you restated it as "distance across tyre and rim." Both are correct.

Curcumference of the BFG 31" (ARD 30.8") would be somewhere around (3.14159 x 30.8 =)96.76", which you can then use to figure revolutions per mile, and use for gearing calculations and decisions...

5-90

langer1 said:

Way to plagiarize http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=24

Back