• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End

Shoemaker

NAXJA Forum User
So I got stuck yesturday and needed to be pulled out from the front and didnt want to get yanked hard but kinda did and lost my bumper and front end in the process. It ripped my bumper off, radiator support, and messed up the unibody pretty good. What would be the best idea to fix this? Make plates for the side and weld them on with new bumper/radiator supports?! plz help...this is what it looks like right now. :dunno:

Myjeep004-1.jpg

I'd guess that your bumper tied in to the front three bolts on each side only? Or something goofy?

I'd get a set of SBS plates by JKS MFG and weld them on.

Pull the framerails back to stock width and weld a new crossmember in.

Build a good bumper that mounts well to the SBS plates.

Its already out there!!
PA070396.jpg

Myjeep004-1.jpg
[/quote]

I always did like the look of an XJ with no front bumper

long night water was freezing cold and i told the kid if he cant pull slow stop and we will hook up differently. he pulled me like 3/4 out. backed up a little to reposition and he started to get stuck and gunned it and snatched my shit off.

IGOTANXJ......Imagine the force behind the damage to the front end crossmember et all and apply that to your front axle and the potential for damage and you should realize that it would not have a good result. Even street towing on pavement by hooking to the axles is not a smart play. The unibody as a whole, not the suspension or drive train, is the only relatively safe place to have tow points and that does not include the bumper unless you've really beefed it up and tied it securely to the unibody framework. The lightweight xj was truly designed to crumple first, last, and in between. Almost any winching these babies can leave scars and bruises.

Last edited:
what bumper did you have on there?

Last edited:
Replace the front cross member, it was only spot welded on. Use a bolt on bumper bracket/tow point similar to the picture. The XJ "frame" is sleeved for factory tow hook brackets and a bracket like this uses them to distribute the pulling forces. There would be no need to weld to the frame rails a properly designed and built bracket. Use a front cross member tie in bracket like the stock tow hooks use. They also reinforce the bolt holes at the end of the frame rail. I would install the front cross member tie in brackets and then weld some angle iron or rectangular tube between the two tie in brackets.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back