• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which rear bumper / tire carrier?

Crewdude007

NAXJA Forum User
There's about a million choices out there. Just trying to see what everybody is using and whether or not they would recommmend it. I'm looking for a rear bumper/tire carrier that will support a 35" tire, ties into the uni-body, doesn't bang around too much, and is durable. Can't stress the durable part enough. I don't have great welding/fab skills, so I'm looking to buy something already made. So far, I've looked at:

Detours
JCR Offroad
Nates 4x4
Custom 4x4
AJ's Offroad

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

A guy came in to my work the other day with an '01 xj. He was giving me the grand tour and showed me his protofab rear bumper/tire carrier. (www.protofab4x4.com) Just another suggestion to check out. I prefer the custom4x4fab model myself. (Don't own one yet, but i have heard good things and am getting ready to buy one.)

I've always liked the JCR one.

My next rear bumper will be from detours.

I've had stuff from JCR and those guys are awesome, but their rear bumpers are too square stock. They just don't fit the profile the way I think a rear bumper should.

They're square and choppy. The ends do not curve like a cherokee. The filler pieces under the taillights look like afterthoughts.

I guess I should have been more specific.

do you have a 97 up xj? cause it looks like it would fit the lines of the old models perfect.

Just installed my Detours (with the works) over the past week. It is purrrrrrrty, and stout! Mark does a beautiful job with the finish work on his bumpers and the contours fit your lower rear quarters like a glove. I figured this out the hard way. I didn't think to remove the riveted-on hanger brackets that the factory pieces clip into (even though the directions tell you to remove ALL brackets, clips, etc.) It was a bear to get on (even bent my sheetmetal a bit when I snugged everything up). I realized my mistake and reinstalled the bumper with the hangers removed. Slid right into place and lined up perfectly.

As for additional reinforcement, it ties into two bolts on either side of your skid plate / tow hitch mounting area and also ties into your lower rear quarters with hefty steel backing plates installed on the inside of the vehicle. One of the other things I like about the Detours is that the endcaps are actually part of the main bumper, not just a bolt on afterthought.

I have a Rigidco. front and rear. They both feature mounting stiffeners that many other companies do not. Also nice welding. The rear tire carrier mounts very high so departure angle is not a problem, but like most rear vision is lost. I suggest you study mounting and rigidity as much as looks. Some mfgs. give install instructions online, these can be very informative.

I think the Detours design is well done.

Here's the JCR, I love it. First picture shows the profile on a '99, I think it looks just fine. As far as durability, I've smashed it so hard it knocked out a back speaker, but just scratched the paint on the bumper. I'd highly recommend any of their stuff.

PICT0286_small.jpg

PICT0285_small.jpg

just one bumper would be RockHard check it out very solid unit

X2. I have RockHard in my future. I actually met the owner during the Jeepers Jamboree last July and he was a very good guy. I talked to him about his bumpers and I was sold on them. Now, as soon as I can get some cash...

I have the durango 4x4 bumper, they no longer make it but I think its one of the best bumpers around for the late model. It flows with the body and matches up perfectly.

NAXJWALKER_051.jpg

thor1.jpg

n1325325234_19447_2960.jpg

I have dragged, scraped and slammed my bumper into everything I can find. It doesn't move around much and is very strong. If I was going to buy another bumper I would most likely buy a rigid co.

-Alex

I agree on the Durango, I absolutely love mine. They were very pricey though and I think thats part of what killed them.

A friend of mine actually gave me his. His Jeep was rear ended at 50mph ironicly by another 2 door XJ with a drunk driver behind the wheel. My friends jeep was totaled, pushed the a-pillars forward, knocked the radio out, broke the seats etc. The durango bumper and tire carrier took all of that. The bumper bolted right up to my jeep with no problems at all, the tire carrier needed some tweaking but its still alive as well. I have done everything imaginable to this bumper and its still strong, although the powercoat is a little weak now lol(its at least 6 years old).

Here is some poser shots from a few weeks ago.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

If I had to replace this I would likely get something from Detours or JCR.

Back