• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame motor mount bracket

In a word, no. I just did motor mounts on my 97 4.0L, I used Brown Dog replacements (rubber, not poly). You can get to both from above, on the drivers side remove the air filter box. There is a bolt on the top of each mount and a nut on a stud on the bottom of each one. Took me about 20 minutes to do the passenger side one, the drivers side one was longer because I farted around trying to get at it from below.

Vibration transmitted to the cabin was severe just after doing the mounts, but in the past week it's calmed down quite a bit. I may leave them - on Monday I was looking up OEM mounts to swap back.

A set of Brown Dog mounts will set you back around $100, OEM's on line are in the $75 range if I remember. Either will do, just replace both sides when you do the job.

Mark

Mark thanks for reply !! now here is a problem - its not the engine mounts that crackerd (I have MORE mounts) its that arm holding the engine mount - its that stock part screwed into frame that is a base for engine mount - and the same part holds the drag link on the bottom :) I will make some pics tommorow and post it to precise exactly what broke

Ya lost me - my motor mounts were on a sort of "shelf" on both sides that was part of the "frame" rails running along the sides of the engine bay. The picture from Ebay shows a bracket that cantilevers out over the bay that the mount is sitting on - this doesn't look like what I had.

Are you talking about the track bar mount? It's bolted to the "frame" on the drivers side with probably 6 bolts. Just in front of the spring. That can be unbolted and removed - if it's cracked I'd suggest welding it up.

Mark

Did you look at Brown Dog? I believe they sell those beefed up also. Could be wrong, but i thought i saw them. Also, why couldn't you weld them? It's steel, might be a little on the thin side but definitely weldable, beef it up a little with some plate and you'd be good to go.

Well, I checked my parts guides and they have diff numbers. That doesn't mean it won't fit. For $35, it may be worth getting since you don't have to take it off. Maybe it will just need some holes redrilled.

FYI to the other readers, yes, he's referring to the "shelf" the mount sits on that bolts to the unibody.

here is the problem - arrow points the crack - there is another crack on the other side but I couldnt fit my camera there :D

i will look over that brown dog site for replacement...

rama.jpg

Brown Dog makes the mounts and the bracket that bolts to the engine. You're not likely to find any joy there. Looks like you already have an aftermarket mount there. Looks like a MORE mount.

I don't see why you can't weld it once you get everything out of the way.

I guess I still don't follow you. People weld on body panels, they're even thinner. The weld, if done properly, is just as strong (and often stronger) than the base.

"Again"? This has happened before? Weld in some small gussets to brace it up.

Well, I don't know how much the replacement ones are, but if they're beefier, and he's going to have to take just about everything out to get to it to weld it, why not just spend a little extra, do it once and know he'll be all set?

Back