• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Won't Prime, hitting the tank fixes it??

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Today after class I went to start the Jeep and it wouldnt prime the fuel pump, needless to say it didnt start. After I got out and hit the tank a few times, it finally primed and started. Later, when I went to leave for work, the same thing happened, I had to hit the tank with my fist to get the pump to prime, and work.

Why does it do this? If there was a bad/loose connection, wouldnt the pump cut out while im driving? I have no driveablility problems once I get it running, but it takes hitting on the tank to get it to work.

Pump is a 2 year old Robert Bosch.

Thanks for any help.

Is the pump running before you hit the tank? If that's the case clean your electrical connectors on the sending unit. If it's running and takes hitting it to get it to suck fuel I'd bet your regulator is allowing the fuel to leak back into the tank thus causing an air pocket when sitting.​

Is the pump running before you hit the tank? If that's the case clean your electrical connectors on the sending unit. If it's running and takes hitting it to get it to suck fuel I'd bet your regulator is allowing the fuel to leak back into the tank thus causing an air pocket when sitting.​

No, once I hit the tank, then it will prime.

Thinkin I need a new pump now...

Back