• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard disc conversion 4 d44 recomendation

hollywood32

NAXJA Forum User
I've run lots of searches but haven't been able to make up my mind.

What do you all think is the best disk brake conversion for the XJ Dana 44?
I would like to keep this conversion below $300.00. The only one I've partially ruled out is the ZJ just because they are hard to find in the Junkyards around here.

Ford Explorer backing plates and calipers, TJ Rubicon retainer plates, with ZJ rotors

All correct but imo it is much easier to just call teraflex and get the preload spacers ( 7 dollars iirc) in place of the rubicon bearing retainers. Then you can use the stock retainer from the 44 and you dont have to drill it to match the bolt pattern. Also the explorer rotors work fine, you just have to lightly sand the id of the rotor hat ( took about 2 minutes). I got everything I needed to do the swap for about 80 bucks.

All correct but imo it is much easier to just call teraflex and get the preload spacers ( 7 dollars iirc) in place of the rubicon bearing retainers. Then you can use the stock retainer from the 44 and you dont have to drill it to match the bolt pattern. Also the explorer rotors work fine, you just have to lightly sand the id of the rotor hat ( took about 2 minutes). I got everything I needed to do the swap for about 80 bucks.

I'm currently using the explorer rotors and the outside pad drags a little. Apperently the ZJ rotors sit inboard a little more than the Explorer rotors do, and no need to alter the hole. I did the TJ(Rubicon) retainers because one of my stock retainers was trashed because of rust, no point in me buying another stock, and the spacers, cheeper for me to go the TJ route

Yeah, I may be going that way. The ZJ looks like it will sit further inboard, and the rotor is slightly thinner. I've got the outer pad dragging on the Ford rotor. I'll pick up some ZJ parts tomorrow.

Here's the specs from CSK's site with the Raybestos.

Ford Rotor

Rotor Specifications:

* Type: Rotor - w/ Parking Brake Drum in Hat
* Number of Bolts/Holes: 5
* Bolt Circle Dimension: 4.5"
* Discard Thickness: .433"
* New Surface Thickness: .473"
* Outside Diameter: 11.22"
* Overall Height: 2.295"

ZJ
Rotor Specifications:

* Type: Rotor - w/ Parking Brake Drum in Hat
* Number of Bolts/Holes: 5
* Bolt Circle Dimension: 4.5"
* Discard Thickness: .374"
* New Surface Thickness: .43"
* Outside Diameter: 11.22"
* Overall Height: 2.33"

Last edited:
ive done the crown vic in the past, with tj rubicon retainer plates, its a good swap!
ill probably do the explorer one next time to keep symetry. theres plenty of great threads here, search for 'crown victoria' or 'explorer', theres PLENTY.

Explorer backing plates from the junkyard, new Explorer rotors, Rubicon retainers, and reman Explorer calipers. Definitely less than $300.

IMG_0374.jpg

Naw Matt, I can't compete in a bling-off. :)

Back