• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Keyless entry?

Crabapple

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at this website here
http://www.thejeep.com/pilandcode.html
and I noticed the little dome in the ceiling and they said it was an IR dome for keyless entry. Do all pre '96 XJs have this dome? Or only ones that were equip with Keyless entry? My '95 has this and I've always wanted to know wtf that thing is, but always forget to ask.

I believe the dome only came with keyless entry. I know of several that don't have it. JIM.

like ILLXJ said, i think only the ones with remote entry have it cause i have also seen pre-96s that dont

my 96 has the dome too but it is located closer towards the windshield opposed to in the center of the otherhead console like on that website. my remote has been long lost though

2600830260_397e4c39e5.jpg

Supposedly, the range is only a couple of feet on these.

My 96 had that when i bought it but no the remote must have been lost somewhere along the way before i got it.... so i bought a remote on ebay and programmed it and what do you know i now have keyless entry....although as big alpha mentioned the range is only about 5-6 feet if your lucky.

My 96 had that when i bought it but no the remote must have been lost somewhere along the way before i got it.... so i bought a remote on ebay and programmed it and what do you know i now have keyless entry....although as big alpha mentioned the range is only about 5-6 feet if your lucky.

How hard was it to program? What did you have to do?

My 95 has that as well. Although the range on mine is about 2-3 feet. I pretty much have to stand right next to the window to activate it. It's a nice feature, but pretty useless compared to newer keyless entry systems with a wider range.

I don't think any newer XJs had remote start, let alone the older models.

How hard was it to program? What did you have to do?

1. Sit inside the vehicle and close all of the doors.
2. Place ignition in the OFF position.
3. Open the driver's door and leave open during programming procedure.
4. Move the mechanical door lock lever to the LOCK position.
5. Turn ignition to the RUN position.
6. Aim the transmitter at the Keyless Entry receiver and press the LOCK button.
7. Hold the button until the light on the transmitter blinks twice. The door locks will cycle.
8. Turn ignition OFF within 20 seconds.
9. Check receiver memory by cycling the door locks using the transmitter. Up to four transmitters may be programmed into a vehicle.

Thats straight out of the owners manual....pretty simple, takes a few mins tops!

I don't think any newer XJs had remote start, let alone the older models.
Yeah that I figured, was just wondering if there was one made specifically for our trucks aftermarket. Or if a universal one would work. This is probably a stupid question, but I never was involved with the installation of one to honestly know what's entailed. I've just heard you need fuel injection which we have.

Back