• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux lights make my electrical angry!

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So awhile back I pulled my interior to herculine and when I was putting all my aux switches back something happened that made them spark. Well I tried to recreate it to make sure nothing blew and I couldn't...low and behold when everything was put back together none of my aux stuff worked, and my radio stopped working as well (antenna too...it's electric).

Well my dad and I tested all of the fusible links, they're all good. So I tried replacing the starter solenoid...it changed nothing. Now I'm stumped, anyone know any tricks or want to help me figure this out? I figure I should wire a line direct from the battery now...but none the less, I need to fix this. I would like my radio back!

Thanks!
~Scott

Fuse box in an open slot with a spade. Each item in a different spot. (CB in one, reverse lights in another, and I never got a chance to use my new Hellas due to the whole electrical thing)

~Scott

if everything else but your radio works then you might have fried the radio. i did this in my old jeep because i had the power from one of my switches coming right off of the same fuse. when the touched it sent too much power to the radio and fried the inside so i had to buy a whole new one

Maybe im missing something, but I shorted the switch that came with the set of lights of used for under the hood. Did you try replacing the switch? When I fried mine the fuse was fine, and the lights were fine, and I was getting power TO the switch, but the link in side the switch to send the power to the light had burnt up. Try a new switch for shits and giggles?

Well I realize I need to wire them to the battery, now! However...what I'm saying is I think the short is related. Why would my antenna and radio not work right after I shorted my aux lights? The other thing is my aux light wire had a built in fuse, and it didn't blow. I tested my fuse box and there is no power coming from it...so something is wrong in the fuse box. I'm trying to fix that.

~Scott

That is why you should always remove the ground cable from the battery before working on anything electrical.

I wasn't doing anything electrical at the time...I was installing my interior. I get that, I just wasn't thinking.

~Scott

Back