• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBDII coder reader not working

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ which is OBDII compliant... the plug in code reader is not working... "linking with computer" displays... never completes... work's with wifes vehicle fine (99 XJ)??? any Ideas???

MS409 MaxiScan Professional CAN OBD-II/EOBD Code Scanner

You will probably get much better information by calling the company that makes the scanner than by posting in this forum.

I hope you get it working!

I didn't think the XJ was OBDII until mid 97, but I could be wrong...

EDIT: Nope, I'm right, yours is OBD I

Last edited:
Nope, my 96 was OBD-II.

OK, I am resigning... I have seen conflicting information, but I will concede that allpar.com states:

Finally, in 1996, the engines were made quieter and given more usable torque with several air path changes; the Selec-Trac system was upgraded; OBD II on-board diagnostics were added; the powertrain control module moved to the JTEC system; and a revolutionary returnless fuel supply system, first seen on the Neon, was installed.

Good Luck!

uh, where is the connector on a renix?

The engine control system has diagnostic capabilities. Using
System Tester (M.S. 1700), diagnostics can be performed on the system
to more accurately determine faulty components. The diagnostic
connectors are located in the engine compartment at the right shock
tower (or under left side of instrument panel).

NOTE: Information for diagnosing the engine control system using
the System Tester (M.S. 1700) was not available from
manufacturer. Only component testing is provided.

Those are not the same as the OBDII connector as your earlier post says.

96s are obd2s. The scanner's auto-detection of the Jeep protocol might not quite work, so you might have to go into a menu and select it manually(I can tell you what mine is if I go get mine). As Matt said, make sure ignition is on(even though my dad's scanner has steps to turn the scanner on and then prompts you to turn on ignition when it is ready). Mine's a 1/96 btw

Last edited:
check fuses..... I remember having a fuse blown on my 98 which prevented me from reading the odbII data but the jeep ran without showing that anything elkse is wrong with it.

Those are not the same as the OBDII connector as your earlier post says.
You're right... I had not looked far enough into it to make that statement. I still thought they were OBD I until mid 97, but I was wrong about that too... It is was still OBD I compatible (I do know that because my 97 gives OBD I codes through the odometer) but it gives chrysler OBD II codes if you have a scan tool. As I said, I was wrong, and thank you for pointing that out to me, I learn alot while researching to try to help others.

Congress mandated that all vehicles sold in the United States be OBD II compliant by January 1996. SO if his XJ is a 96, it is OBD II. If your reader is not working then your computer may be shot.

Chris

I have a similar problem with my '96 XJ.

I have a new relatively-sophisticated Autoenginuity PC based OBDII scanner that will not link to the Jeep (works great on several other vehicles I've tried).

I borrowed my friends Chinamart Special OBDII code reader, and it does connect and displays the OBDII codes.

In addition, the ignition key "off/on/off/on/off/on" sequence will make my CEL blink out the trouble codes.

The bad news is the the $300 Autoenginuity scanner will not work, but the good news is that the $30 reader does work, and gives the same error codes that the ignition key sequence gives.

I just had a somewhat similar issue with my Palm based Auterra SCAN Tool. Turns out when you hook up to the OBD port, there's a choice (on the 98 Cherokee 4L anyway) of which module to read from. The default mine went to was Module 24, which didn't show much of anything. When I switched to Module 209 (the only other choice) I was able to see all sensor data, O2 sensor waveforms, etc. Hope that helps...

I have a new relatively-sophisticated Autoenginuity PC based OBDII scanner that will not link to the Jeep (works great on several other vehicles I've tried).

I borrowed my friends Chinamart Special OBDII code reader, and it does connect and displays the OBDII codes.

In addition, the ignition key will make my CEL blink out the trouble codes.

The bad news is the the $300 Autoenginuity scanner will not work, but the good news is that the $30 reader does work, and gives the same error codes that the ignition key sequence gives.

ok, where does it( "off/on/off/on/off/on" sequence) display the codes?

In addition, the ignition key will make my CEL blink out the trouble codes.

fuses were all checked and good... hooked up OBDII and turned iginition on... and waited... waited... waited... 20 minutes goes by and still displays waiting for computer...

ok, where does it ("off/on/off/on/off/on" sequence) display the codes?

whats next???

Congress mandated that all vehicles sold in the United States be OBD II compliant by January 1996. SO if his XJ is a 96, it is OBD II. If your reader is not working then your computer may be shot.

Chris

ok,dumb question.... should the jeep still be running? It starts cold awesome... but hot it's a friggin pain... the exhaust manifold broke and I do mean broke at the collector there was crap every where in th engine bay - dirty...

Back