• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Question:

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So here's my dilemma: After a few trips of occasional kicking out of front drive while engaged in 4wd, it stopped staying in altogether. I have split the case several times, found worn shift fork pads, stretched chain, slightly worn lock-ring gear, all have been replaced. The problem is, it still kicks out of front drive while in 4wd. It then occurred to me that there are springs between the shift forks on the shift rail, and logically if one or both of these springs were to become weak, they would not hold tension on the fork when shifted, causing the gears to pop back out. This would account for the slight wearing on the edge of the lock ring gear that I replaced.

My thoughts: Remove and split the t-case again and remove the shift rail/fork assembly. I don't recall exactly how the rail components are kept on the shaft, I'm guessing either a roll pin or set screw. Is it feasible to remove whatever is keeping said components on the rail and replace the springs, or should I source a new rail assembly? I'm guessing these springs can't be too stupid expensive, but it is a PITA to R&R and split the damn case so many times.

Am I on the right track here? Help a brother out.

Doug

dont know much about the internals, but have you checked to make sure the linkage is adjusted proporly and that its fully engaged into 4wd

That's exactly what happened! I'm trying to figure out why without much luck. IIRC, the drivelines will need to be modded to swap from a 242 to a 231, correct?
The first time this happened to me it was due to some wrecker axles with mismatched ratios :doh: which I should have checked, second time my girfriend found the gear in between part time and full time and phoned me saying it wont drive and just grinds, The third time I blame on poor adjustment and worn linkage. I have given up on the 242, I have a complete working spare I'm gonna flog. just got a pre 96 231, installed a 2low, new chain,bearings seals, sye. and linkage. Cant wait to put it in. I plan on using my existing driveshaft.

Back