• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warm air intake hose?

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
What's the standard name for the hose that leads from the engine to the air intake and allows the engine to warm up faster in the winter? I know what it is... just not what it's called.

Also, anyone know what size the hose is on an 89? Mines falling appart and it's cold out. =)

do you mean the metal flexible hose from the exhaust manifold to the air intake.

dont know the size, but either measure the opening on the air intake or take the hose off and measure. its just a flexable metal piping that you can get in auto parts store or even at home depot in the heating and air conditioning section.

i dont have it connected on my 89 because i have rustys air tube and didnt notice a difference.

It does not really do much, but I did replace mine on my 88... It's just called a hot air tube, and it's function is pretty limited... most people just discard it after it disintegrates. I took mine into autobone and they hooked me right up with a generic metal flex tube that popped right on in it's place.

According to my father (was a mechanic in his younger years) there is a flap on the front of the air intake. When the engine is cold, the flap opens and allows the intake to pull hot air from the engine, and help the engine warm up faster.

According to my father (was a mechanic in his younger years) there is a flap on the front of the air intake. When the engine is cold, the flap opens and allows the intake to pull hot air from the engine, and help the engine warm up faster.

X2

the thing is, the engine usually warms up just as fast without it unless you are in extreme climates...

I had to replace my rear diff cover... every place I looked they were $80 to $200. Junkyard said they don't let people take appart axles.

Deallership - $23

awesome

Also, I needed extended swaybar links, but didn't want to pay $100. Stock ones were $15 at the dealership... I just cut them and welded in 1/4" steed rod to make up the difference.

awesome x2

The renix style xj's had the longer snout on the airbox with the door that open/close dependent on some variable or other and is vacuum operated. In 91 i think is when they trashed that idea.
For the folks on top of the world like me, where its colder than a well digger's knee, the xj heats up just fine without that contraption.
Get rid of all the crap there and you have a long snout to take fresh in.

The other hose that goes from the valve cover back to the intake hose is just to reburn unspent gases and whatnot, nothing to do with start-up warming.

If you're still wanting to replace it, it's proper name is a "preheater" hose.

I tend to agree that on a fuel injected vehicle with an air charge temp sensor, it's relatively useless.

Back