• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny fluid quart count normal??

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I've done the poor man's fluid change about three times now on my '98 XJ w/the AW4. I've noticed that it only takes about 2 quarts to fill it. Actually when warm the fluid is right at the max line. I've read most guys drain and fill about 3-4 quarts. Is this normal that mine only needs 2? I do have a B&M tranny cooler too.

TIA,

Sean

I've done the poor man's fluid change about three times now on my '98 XJ w/the AW4. I've noticed that it only takes about 2 quarts to fill it. Actually when warm the fluid is right at the max line. I've read most guys drain and fill about 3-4 quarts. Is this normal that mine only needs 2? I do have a B&M tranny cooler too.

TIA,

Sean

I don't think so - do you let it drain until it stops, or put the plug in when it slows down? Do you drain it hot, or drain it cold?

IIRC, the "service fill" on the AW4 is something close to four quarts (a shade over or under is possible, but I've always used four,) so I'd not consider a two quart fluid change to be anything like normal. I don't think I've run across a slushbox anywhere that only took two quarts of fluid for a change...

I don't think so - do you let it drain until it stops, or put the plug in when it slows down? Do you drain it hot, or drain it cold?

IIRC, the "service fill" on the AW4 is something close to four quarts (a shade over or under is possible, but I've always used four,) so I'd not consider a two quart fluid change to be anything like normal. I don't think I've run across a slushbox anywhere that only took two quarts of fluid for a change...
This go around the tranny was a bit cold. I've read a couple threads on jeepforum where guys only drain about 2.5 quarts everytime.

This go around the tranny was a bit cold. I've read a couple threads on jeepforum where guys only drain about 2.5 quarts everytime.

That's odd. I've had a 1987 and two 1989's with the AW4, and I've consistently gotten four quarts out (didn't measure drain, but I put four quarts in and was right about where I started...)

Y'ask me, something isn't draining all the way! Another dumb question - when you verify your fluid fill, you're doing it with the engine idling, tranny in Park, and fluid hot, right? Failure to do so can give you a "false high," because the hydraulics won't be full and running...

I just got done draining the pan on my 99 AW4. With a hot tranny, removing the drain plug drained approximately 3 quarts. By starting the engine and shifting through the gears VERY QUICKLY AND MOMENTARILY, you can get another half a quart out of it. Mine is about 3.5 quarts every time. Don't know if there is a difference between vintages of AW4 but would suspect not??

That's odd. I've had a 1987 and two 1989's with the AW4, and I've consistently gotten four quarts out (didn't measure drain, but I put four quarts in and was right about where I started...)

Y'ask me, something isn't draining all the way! Another dumb question - when you verify your fluid fill, you're doing it with the engine idling, tranny in Park, and fluid hot, right? Failure to do so can give you a "false high," because the hydraulics won't be full and running...
I do check it running and warm. It's been in the 30's here, but last time I checked it the trans. temp was at around 130-140(sending unit mounted inline on the pressure side coming out of tranny). This time around I put in 2.25 quarts when I did the change. It sits right at the max line right now.

I don't think anyone picked up on the "poor man's".

You're just pulling the drain plug and only get 2 quarts out.
If you were to pull the pan you'd need the higher amount everyone is talking about.

I don't think anyone picked up on the "poor man's".

You're just pulling the drain plug and only get 2 quarts out.
If you were to pull the pan you'd need the higher amount everyone is talking about.

Which still sounds odd. I've drained the sump then pulled it - I know the threaded bung will hold some fluid in the pan, but I've always noted it being somewhere around a pint, tops. Certainly not a quart and a half!

Still makes me wonder what's going on...

Which still sounds odd. I've drained the sump then pulled it - I know the threaded bung will hold some fluid in the pan, but I've always noted it being somewhere around a pint, tops. Certainly not a quart and a half!

Still makes me wonder what's going on...

I've got in my notes that just pulling the drain plug will get you 1.5qts, I haven't verified this in a while, but I vaugely remember measuring it in a bucket. Seems like mine might have been cold, I wonder if that has any bearing on it.

Last edited:
I've got in my notes that just pulling the drain plug will get you 1.5qts, I haven't verified this in a while, but I vaugely remember measuring it in a bucket. Seems like mine might have been cold, I wonder if that has any bearing on it.
I should have specified on the poor man's flush better..lol. I just pulled the plug. Each time I've drained and filled this way it's been around 2 quarts.

Another thing that is confusing is that in the owners manual and the Haynes manual it states that the fluid while warm should be in between the two holes on the dipstick, and to not overfill. That being said why is there a max line a 1/4" above the highest hole? Is max the most that the fluid should be(for obvious reasons) or is it supposed to be between the two holes/the highest hole?

Another thing that is confusing is that in the owners manual and the Haynes manual it states that the fluid while warm should be in between the two holes on the dipstick, and to not overfill. That being said why is there a max line a 1/4" above the highest hole? Is max the most that the fluid should be(for obvious reasons) or is it supposed to be between the two holes/the highest hole?

Tranny fluid level is considered "acceptable" when it is between the two holes. Not to exceed the MAX line, not to drop below the bottom hole and or hatchmarks on the dipstick.

Too much fluid is not a good thing in a transmission. Can create a frothing condition which results in poor lubrication. NEVER exceed the MAX line!

Back