• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FAB idea for CAD/CAM class

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys I have a CAD class where I need to build something out of aluminum. It has to be able to made in our machine shop at school. I am not looking for something real hard but something simple, since I have 5 other classes. I really could use some ideas. thanks

Tube Bender, I have a set of Plans I could email to you

Well I don't know what you are required to make but you could make those Mag light holders, a little aluminum clamp. Pretty easy, if that does not work then the throttle body spacers were a great idea. Good luck... JOE>

TRY A WHEEL alot of people do it and it can be pretty easy to revolve that shape

is it a cad CNC thing or just like a sheet of alluminum and you have to make a layout?

i had a class like that, i designed a jeep, it was pretty cool i even threw in some coiled aluminum for suspension.

how farmiliar are you with CAD, its more designed toward 2d layouts, but the 3d abilities are pretty good depending on your abilities...

what program do you use to draw on? you could draw an adjustable rear bump stop...i saw them on the internet somewhere...its pretty simple...take the plate that sits on top of the spring pack and extend the side of it out a couple of inches and cut some one inch plates to bolt up to them...kinda hard to describe...heres a link of what im talking about... well for some reason i cant paste the link in...go to jeepinoutfitters.com and search U-bolt eliminators.

Sounds like a fun project, I would def do the throttle body spacer if it were me, although that is a very simple shape in Pro/E, so i guess it depends on your prof.

And p.s. from above CAD software or (computer aided design) programs are not specifically for 2d. Many as in Pro/E are specifically for 3d design. :)

I don't know what version of MasterCAM your using, but in version 9, "your not done until your done"

its funny if you use mastercam alot.

I teach some mastercam at the high school im at but we have a haas lathe instead of a mill

I use Autodesk Inventor and Surfcam. Do you have mill and lathe machine tools?

How about a Dana 300 flip kit and clocking ring? Then you can use it when you're done.

JIMBOJAMES said:
We have HAAS lathes and Mills..

Sorry about your luck.

Ty2003K said:
Sounds like a fun project, I would def do the throttle body spacer if it were me, although that is a very simple shape in Pro/E, so i guess it depends on your prof.

And p.s. from above CAD software or (computer aided design) programs are not specifically for 2d. Many as in Pro/E are specifically for 3d design. :)

The throttle body spacer will be very easy to CAD but will require the main types of toolpaths (e.g. contour, pocket, drill, suface) to machine, so it will be good in that aspect. But, you can do a lot more for $100 of aluminum so make sure you have high enough degree of difficulty to get a good grade.

Back