• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ is dying...please help

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

My jeep has been running poorly on and off for the last 3 months. when i go around sharp left hand turns, the engine starts to die out. Then i let my foot off the gas, and shes fine again. The first time this happened I was heading back to college, it happened on a mountian road after a hard left turn. It would start to die out, then i would down shift and it was OK. On the interstate, if i kept it at the same RPM it would eventually start to do the same thing. At first, down shifting fixed it but eventually she wouldnt even move in first gear. I pulled over and revved the engine while nuetral. It got to 2000 rpm and started to sputter. I got towed home, but the next morning everything was fine??

I am guessing it something in the tranny, which is automatic. If i am traveling on most roads around 40-60, if the tranny needs to downshift, this is when it acts up. But if the tranny gets a sudden downshift, everything is fine.

I ran the jeep with a fuel pressure gage and that is all OK. it stayed around 50 psi the entire time.

I have heard probelms with the crank position sensor

there is an O2 sensor code coming with the check engine light. I ran the code and its basically saying my Catallytic converter is bad...no help there.

ANY IDEAS???

I've been troubleshooting this for the past 3 months but really need some help

Thank you

First of all, what year and what engine? Important to know for us to help you.

If the code for the O2 sensor started at about the same time as the symptoms, I'd concentrate on that. How many miles on this O2 sensor and how many miles on the cat? Specifically, I'd concentrate on the WIRING for that oxygen sensor. Check it all very closely to make sure it isn't burned/frayed/shorted in some manner. A burnt O2 sensor wire can create some pretty funky conditions.

To the left turn deal. Does it do this when the gas tank is FULL, or does it only do it when you have less than say a quarter tank? Did you watch the gauge at the EXACT time the engine started to die? I know you ran with a fuel pressure gauge but it still could be a goofy fuel delivery problem. Or it could be a wiring problem too. I assume that it doesn't exhibit these symptoms when you turn hard right? The hard left is a big clue....

It sounds like a combination of a clogged cat and the common fuel pickup problem. Both of those together would kill your ride for sure. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is chasing down a problem!

1996 4.0 with 160k on the clock

it did not act funny when the fuel pressure gauge was on, but the pressure was good so i figured it was OK. I will check the wires and if you think it is a good idea i will cut take the cat off and hollow it all out ( i do not have emissions tests where i live, they just check to see if you have a cat under there)

thanks guys!!

does the CPS problem fit this?

tank is always at least half full

Back