• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help picking out a Magnaflow catalytic converter

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
So my heddmen high flow cat has gone bad on me after only four years so I want to go with Magnaflow because I have heard good things about them. I have looked on Summit Racings website and have been looking at all the different options and saw that they have oval (looks like the OEM converter) and then they have round. Is there a difference in these or just two different styles? Also I see these sleek looking "Spun Metallic" converters for only a few extra bucks and they look like that could hold up a little better to taking a hit off-road so anybody have anything they could tell me about all this? If you don't like magnaflow or high flow cat or dont run cats at all thats fine but I didn't ask about that so lets keep on the topic of the question. My exhaust set up as it sits now is Banks header with stock down pipe going into the Heddmen 3" in/out, into a Flowmaster 50 series 3" in/dual 2.5" out with 2" pipes flowing back to 2.5" slant straight cut chrome tips exiting straight out back on either sides of the trailer hitch. I went dual for LOOKS! I know there is no performance benefits out of it so its ok I don't need everyone to tell me about it.

I used to work for a high flow cat company. The oval style are usually ceramic stubstrates that won't take near as much abuse. The metals can take a whack and keep on doin their job where the ceramics will crack and shat a brick.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294838974+4294867633+400636+115&autoview=sku

Thats what I am looking at right now. It says its for a vehicle of 4,500 lbs. and I can't recall the exact weight of my 97 XJ but I also have it lifted bigger tires steel wheels and the basic level 1.75 of goodies. Would this be good do you think? I just don't need my CEL coming on since I live in Atlanta and we do emissions testing here every year to renew our tag registration.

I looked at that link

Converter Case Material: Stainless steel
Converter Substrate Material: Ceramic honeycomb

The substrate is still ceramic just like the oval OE style cats. The ones I was thinking of actually have a Metal substrate, which is much more durable than the ceramic and flow better. They are more expensive than those though.

Back