• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Idle Problem

Carone

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 Comanche with a 4.0l and 5 speed trans. I was having some issues with random high idling and shuttering between certain a RMP range (about 2100 to 2500). In and effort to try to fix the problem I replaced and tuned the TPS, replaced the ICA unit, cleaned the large pigtail connector on the firewall, and replace some vacuum lines. After all this the shuttering has gone away (bad TPS) but the truck idles constantly at about 2100 RPMs. If I disconnect and reconnect the pigtails for the TPS and ICA while the truck is running the idle will drop back down to normal but kicks back up when I start driving it. What could be causing my idle problem that I haven’t already tried?

I was having the same problem. I went over all the vacuum lines and fittings and found one that had a crack and was leaking. After i swapped in a new one, it went back to idling perfectly.

I found one minor vacuum leak that once fixed drop the idle 500 rpms to about 1,600. I don't understand why unplugging the TPS returns the idle to normal if my problem is because of vacuum leaks. Can someone enlighten me? Any other ideas?

swbooking thanks for your help!

If you disconnected the TPS while the engine was running , then you will need to take off the negitive battery termial and leave it off for about 30 seconds . While you have the negitive cable off make sure your TPS is plugged in before you connect the negitive cable . On my 89 Renix it works to reset the computer . I have only had to do this when I unplugged the tps with the jeep running . Check your grounds by the dipstick .

Back