• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who makes rocker armor that replaces the stock ones?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I started patching my rockers together (rust), only to realize it would be tons easier and more practical to just cut them off and replace the whole thing with some square tube (and still have it look stock-ish).

Are there any manufactures that offer such a rocker replacement kit?

there no one that i can recall that manufactures them. its just fab work. call up your local metal dealers/ scrap yard.

The thing is, I'm kinda on tight schedule right now, and having something pre-made would make it so much easier. Also, it would probably look better than what I could dish together from with parts from the junkyard.

These...
RCG3002_xl.jpg

Found here...
http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12664

or

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=RCG3002

~Scott

Funny you should mention those. I just came across them and was actually sending Gen-Right a mail right now!

Crappy pictures, tho. I have a hard time telling if the box tube sits flush with the floor? What kind of support is there between the box tube top and door sill?

HD Offroad in the vender's forum sells 1/4" rocker skins that could probably be welded up in place of / over top of the stock rockers, or what is left of them. Look stock & add beef.
Gen-Right looks interesting, hadn't seen that before but again - details are needed.

If you're looking at replacing your rusted rockers it's going to be a weld in job. What I've done before and a lot of others is to cut out the rocker at the top and right in front of the pinch seam, then weld in a chunk of material like 3x5 tubing the entire length. It's a lot of prep and weld time but if you can do the work yourself or have a buddy that can help, well worth it.

We did look at building a bolt in rocker replacement but it just didn't seem like a good idea. Wouldn't be pretty difficult to make strong enough to handle the abuse and wouldn't seal up the inner rocker against the elements, mud, water...end up rusting even more stuff from the inside out. If steel prices are crazy in your area I can get you the 3x5 tubing to whatever length you need and even bend you up an outer hoop for it for cheap.

I'll report back when I hear from them.

That's what I was thinking, AJ. Only I'd cut it all the way into where the floor ends and is bent 90 degrees to make out the door pillar. So, I guess I'd need like a 3x6 square tube (without having measured it properly)? I appreciate the offer, I'll see how this Gen Right deal comes around first, then report back to you.

I might just end up welding up the sheetmetal to match the stock profile and have it pass inspections like that!

Ever hear anything from them or get better pics?
Sorry, I forgot to update this. The fools never answered my e-mails, so I said screw 'em and made my own rockers.

3099103226_e64d9917bc_o.jpg

3098268011_7e938fda9c_o.jpg

They didn't turn out as good as I wanted and probably won't resist rocks too good, so I am probably gonna do the builder's kit approach down the road sometime.

Here's a link to a Gen-Right dealer that seems a whole lot more reliable. They can probably hook you up.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669773&highlight=

HD Offroad in the vender's forum sells 1/4" rocker skins that could probably be welded up in place of / over top of the stock rockers, or what is left of them. Look stock & add beef.
Gen-Right looks interesting, hadn't seen that before but again - details are needed.

Yeah those things look beefy. Brian and Adam from HD offroad are great guys too! I think i'm gonna get a set of those for my jeep my rockers are a bit rusty!

Bringing this back up to see if anyone has purchased and installed the Genright Rocker Guard kit? I would like to see some input on these!

Back