• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear diff question

88bluecrunched

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here it is can anyone tell me what happens when you take one D35 rear end connected to an 88 XJ with the yoke removed and allow your brother to tow the rig to his friends house? Anyone....?

Maybe this?

diff1.jpg

Or this
diff2.jpg

Maybe even this
reafdiff.jpg

And after he did it he said to me "we started to tow it but the rear wheels were not moving so we just kept pulling, then we heard a loud POP and the wheels started to move". Then he proceded to tell me "look it is still good you just push them back up in there".

Gotta love family

wtf happened? the ring gear ate the pinion? why was the yoke removed? why werent the wheels spinning. i blew a carrier bearing in my d30 and the front right tire locked up, but it didnt damage the housing.

-Tim

I can tell you precisly what happened because my yoke came loose while I was driving. If I hadn't had a full detroit my axle would look like that, instead mine looks like htis:
detroitcarnage.JPG

The pinion fell into the carrier, and it got jammed up in the sipergears, ten the carrier rotated it down and popped the bearing support and housing.
it's really fun when you hear that noise from back there while you're driving ;)
The only thing that saved mine was the smooth outer of the carrier it didn't grab he pinion, the pinion just cut some neat grooves into it.

i almost did the same thing, tried to move my jeep out of my moms way when i was putting on a new yoke....stopped before that much happened though...

Back