• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

knock under shifter...

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
im noticing a knock or a rattle/tap sound under the shifter area when im in drive sitting at a light. i can shift into neutral and back into drive and it goes away... just wondering what could possibly be causing it.

could be the transfercase linkage could be loose or the bushing is bad.

also check for a bad tranny mount.

could also be the exhaust hiting the crossmember.

did you wonder enough to actually look underneath to see what was making the noise?

not yet... i just had the exhaust done.. i dont think its that. as for the tranny mount- it just went through inspection so im wondering if that could be it or not.

actually, it most likely is the new exhaust. look to see how much clearance there is where it goes over the crossmember. if you had the exhaust done at a shop, maybe they didnt realize how much clearance they needed.

i seriously doubt that the tranny mount would be soemthing caught during an inspection unless it was completely missing and the trans was floppy all over the place.

push the 4x4 lever down -- when I'm driving mine has a tendency to creep up just a little --- makes a weird rattle....I push it back down...and it's gone -- til next time

Common, mine does it too, and I've read many posts about it. push down on the 4x4 lever and it stops. Never heard of anyone fixing it, just push it down when it starts to rattle, and it will stop.

Last edited:
Common, mine does it too, and I've read many posts about it. push down on the 4x4 lever and it stops. Never heard of anyone fixing it, just push it down when it starts to rattle, and it will stop.

that works... could it be a bad linkage? i had a hsop look at it this weekdn and my tranny mount was shot. that got rid of the kocking sound when idling in drive. but when i slow down i hear it just before i stop. weird...

It is just a characteristic of the transfer case shifter that is common on a lot of XJs... the shifter handle will rattle intermittently... you just have to push down on it once in a while...

It is just a characteristic of the transfer case shifter that is common on a lot of XJs... the shifter handle will rattle intermittently... you just have to push down on it once in a while...

but how far is too far? when i swap my 95 tcase shifter with one i got out of a 2000 wonder if it will go away?

Thanks for the fix!!! That seems like a lot more trouble then just pushing down on the handle, but I guess if I had one that would NEVER shut up, I would do it!

If you look on AllData (a.k.a. Most Data) There is actually a TSB from Jeep/Chrysler that says in order to prevent the rattle/tapping under center counsel you can purchase a shift linkage bushings kit. What happened is they used cheap bushings and over time they wear out and thus you get the noise.

Austin

Back