• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing a leaf to lower truck?

PapaGeno21

NAXJA Forum User
My truck is sitting really high in the rear on my RE 4.5" lift kit. I went with 4.5" packs vs getitng the 3.5 and shackles and im cool with that but the rear is sitting way high. About 1.5" higher in the back.

I need to install shims anyways, so when i do that can I remove a leaf?

I have 3 long ones, 1 med and one small one.

Which leaf should I remove to drop it down some?

I never put weight in the rear and I have no back seat so I dont care about load leafs.

You think I should remove the smallest leaf or will that do nothing?

I'd drop the smallest leaf and drive around with a ton of weight in the back to settle the rear springs down. From what I hear, RE kits start out way higher than advertised but settle about to the numbers.

My truck is sitting really high in the rear on my RE 4.5" lift kit. I went with 4.5" packs vs getitng the 3.5 and shackles and im cool with that but the rear is sitting way high. About 1.5" higher in the back.

I need to install shims anyways, so when i do that can I remove a leaf?

I have 3 long ones, 1 med and one small one.

Which leaf should I remove to drop it down some?

I never put weight in the rear and I have no back seat so I dont care about load leafs.

You think I should remove the smallest leaf or will that do nothing?
how long have you had the re rear leaves in there?

Leave it in it'll settle eventually!

Yep, I have the RE 4.5 superflex leaves/coils and it has some rake to it at first. it will settle. Load it up like you are going on a trail ride with all your gear and it will settle an inch or more just from the weight.

Leave the rear alone, and add either some ACOS or 1.5" spacers up front to level things out......

this spring I installed a re4.5 kit in my 89, I was shocked how high the back end was!! after a short while it came down to where I was happy, after some quite a few wheeling trips it is now level or too low in the rear. I will leave it till spring and probably go back up an inch with a shackle kit or shackle box. Same things going on with my dads re3.5 its slowly coming down. Jst trying to say live with it if u can, u go pulling leaves and you will have ass end sag.

Just remember that little leaf is there to help prevent axle wrap!

I agree with leaving it alone and weighing it down. Leaf springs naturally settle into their ride height, while coils shouldn't change. The initial rake is common on most coil/leaf combos. The RE kit has a greater rake, than say a RC kit, because RE leaf packs are softer. They have to "sag" more before settling in, so the initial height is more than most.

If you must remove a spring, it would be a better idea to replace a leaf with a stock leaf vs. removing it all together. The RE packs are flexy, but they aren't the best at fighting axle wrap, so you don't want to make it worse!

Back