• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 conversion

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
To all the haters out there who said things like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger4x4
with all the money you're going to be spending doing this, you'd be better off just buying a new jeep that has the 231. there's so much work involved and way too much $$. i helped my friend do it on his yota and he sunk over $3000 doing it. not worth it for that truck.

this is for you:
My 87 4 door was pretty beat up, the interior was the worst of it. After many soakings in and around the nisqually river, the carpet was the first to go. then the saggy headliner, then the moldy front door panels. the doors didn't want to shut right and the whole jeep was a list of "things to do" i went crazy and posted it up for sale and was planning on parting it all out before some good friends talked me out of it. so what started as a way to make a few extra bucks turned into a rebirth of my original jeep.
As a craigslist addict constantly searching for anything jeep I came across a clean 2x4 98 with a bad trans. I bought it for next to nothing, and a 4x4 Aw4 from an 00 with 40k on it for 320. more than half of what the whole jeep cost me!
The project begins by first swapping in the new aw4 for the old. I had never done this before. As always, at the end of the swap I washed my hands and realized i learn just as much about myself as I do about Jeeps when (attempting) these more complicated jobs. I will sweat and swear,
bust my knuckles and rack my mind for the right piece to the puzzle. Its always something and multiply your E.T.A. for completion by a week or two. One more thing i learned: If i didnt have something to work on in my life, something to fix or make better.......... i think i'd just shoot myself in the face. Enough sentiment and musing, on with the pictures!

Wasnt sure if the grime was holding the T.C. together so I just left it as it was.
104_0156.jpg

104_0157.jpg

104_0161.jpg

spoiled with a good shop to use. What a clean looking xj!
104_0158.jpg

A 2x4 jeep. Im glad i got to make at least one of them right. cant believe they even came that way.
104_0159.jpg

104_0160.jpg

104_0163.jpg

104_0164.jpg

104_0165.jpg

104_0166.jpg

104_0167.jpg

those two little bastards gave me hell when i dropped my puke goat about a year ago to swap with an ax-15. someone told me "they"
put the odd sized bolts in to prevent the average joe from wrenching on his own stuff....i think it took me an hour laying on my back in a parking lot
just to get the two of them out.
104_0168.jpg

progress.gif

this time around, having the right tools for the job saved me hours and hours.
104_0169.jpg

4 flywheel bolts to take off.
104_0170.jpg

rotate the flywheel with a wrench on the harmonic balancer.(thank you john!)
104_0173.jpg

old junk came off without a hitch
104_0174.jpg

104_0175.jpg

and the new bolted in
104_0177.jpg

Quote:
with all the money you're going to be spending doing this, you'd be better off just buying a new jeep that has the 231. there's so much work involved and way too much $$. i helped my friend do it on his yota and he sunk over $3000 doing it. not worth it for that truck.

Just an after thought after doing this...Toyota.

Next up is the axles and lift from the old project jeep

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to see you making a "jeep" into a JEEP. :) keep it updated, nice job so far. good luck, hope all goes smoothly for ya.

"with all the money you're going to be spending doing this, you'd be better off just buying a new jeep. there's so much work involved and way too much $$. i helped my friend do it on his yota and he sunk over $3000 doing it. not worth it for that truck."

Isn't that the name of the game? Non of them are "worth" what goes into them i guess but its a labor of love. Granted just going with a 4x4 from the start may have been more convenient, cheaper, less time consuming, but where is the fun in that? IMO the more time I spend getting it ready to use, the more I enjoy using it. If thats what you want to do man, make it happen.

Quote:

Just an after thought after doing this... Toyota.

yeah!

Last edited by a moderator:
update please, rolled my 4x4 98 and looking at a 99 2 wd. need some inspiration for my swap.

2X. I'm glad to see you ignored all the negative BS people threw at you. A 2wd XJ/MJ is probably the least complicated 4x4 conversion there is, just LOTS of work.:thumbup:

My XJ was 2wd by birth, I replaced my engine and made the swap and you are correct. It is easy (read: bolt up converstion) but a lot of work... but at the same time, I know my XJ inside and out. If I had just went and bought a running 4x4 I would have never learned the things I know now.:repair:

I just picked up a few parts yesterday because I am switching my 2wd(was free) to 4wd. Gonna be cheaper than buying a old beat up 4wd "fo sho!" :D

I have been very fortunate to have great members sell me parts at good prices. I got a 3.5 lift for $150!!!! I love to wrench cause it is what I love and I have a house full of females that won't follow me to the garage! LOL

Back