• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Trouble

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok is my trans going out or is there somthing else? I have a 1992 Cherokee with AW4. When I put my shifter in D is takes a second to click in. Then when u hit the gas it acts like it don't wanna go then when I give it a little gas it will shift into second put once u get it going on the highway it shfts 3rd and 4th perfect. I just change all the fluid and new filter still does it. Is it gone or could something else be causing this any help is much appreciated. THanks

would the cable do that only mess up from 1st the 2nd but do good all the other times. also if TPS is messing up wouldn't it show me a code when I check it. Just asking.

IIRC 1st gear i believe is hydraulic unlike 2nd and overdrive is electrical. but this sounds electrical, I COULD BE WRONG. it could be the shift solenoids. I had the same problems as you. i have some post about it. i changed the solenoids with some ones i found out the junkyard. they came out to 9 bucks for all three whereas theyre like 250 for the set. i would have a slow start from a stop then would have to step on the gas some to get it going and then it would shift fine...only way i figured it was electrical was because my check engine light was on.

Back