• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights arent working

GOOTmeister

NAXJA Forum User
My headlights recently went out randomly. they have been flickering on and off for about two weeks randomly and finally they just went out. the bulb is fine there is just no power going to either of my dims. my brights still work though. I've looked high and low and can't figure it out. can someone help me out? thanks

Look under your air filter box. There you will find a wiring harness. That plug seems to corrode in the snow belt areas. Check for voltage there for the low beams. Just do a clean cut and splice for the bad wire. Be sure to shrink wrap and solder. Do yourself the favor of not having to do it twice because af a crimp connector. That would be my guess. If not how is your hi-low beam switch?

1. Have you checked for power at the disconnect for the front clip? you will have to remove the airfilter box to get at it.

2. Have you pulled the switch and looked at it? Mine worked fine on and off but it had had a fire in it or had gotten really hot at one point and was intermittent. Additionally I had to replace the ignition switch cause that showed signs of excessive heat as well.

3. If it is not at either of those I would pull the firewall connector and check for it there as well as getting resistance readings of anything you can while you have it apart. If you go this far make sure that you clean all the connections good the old dielectric will look like tar, no worries its just old. Once you are done cleaning and possibly repairing ensure that you use a dielectric grease. I preffer silicon types however they get messy (Not reffering to RTV), and I am not sure what the torque value is on that bolt but I usually got till I know its all seated and nice and tight; but not too tight (I use a 1/4" ratchet with a thumb and two fingers). good luck and let us know what you find!

Back