• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boosting a budget boost

i would say swap out you're coil spacers for new coils, and do either an add-a-leaf, block, or bastard pack for the rear. then i don't know what lift your trackbar is rated for, but you may/may not need to do something with that as well, though it should probably be good... other than that, i'd say you're probably good to go. at 3" you should still be fine with stock control arms, although aftermarket would certainly be good.

My BB was ZJ coils with short bastard packs and a <3.5" JKS adjustable trac bar. It was a little higher in the rear than the front.

What I did to mine was add a set of 3.5" TJ coils I bought off a forum on the front and C-1500 brake lines. On the rear I added 1.75" RE greaseable shackles and rebuilt my BP's with non-bent main leaves and 2 S-10 leave to make a fairly flat spring pack. I'm a little dissapointed in weight carring capacity in the rear and will be getting a set of 2" OME med-load leaves when my bank account allows for it. If you stick with stock control arms for now, you don't have to change shocks as the stock arms wont let the axle droop more than the shocks will extend.

yes. I would certainly choose shackles over blocks. Although the blocks would save you a few bucks, and you are after the economical route, IMO it's worth spending a little bit more to reap the benefits of shackles over blocks. They don't cause spring wrap, they help more with flex, they give a better ride....

I'm doing this today actually. I am adding ZJ springs to the front with my spacers. Then I am taking my AAL out in the rear and making a bastard pack out of S10 springs. Hopefully I am successful.

Just buy new coil springs.new ones can be had as low as $100. and i see used quite often for $50.sometimes buying cheap isn't cheap at all.and if u use factory trac bar at that height i am sure you are aware that you will have to either redrill a new hole or buy a horrible trac bar relocation bracket. as most people do in the future you will more than likely go to a higher lift. so spend the $ and purchase a adjustable trac bar now. also factory trac bar will not allow you to get all the flex the lift springs are capable of.also there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 1" steel block in the rear and longer lift shackles.as i said cheap isn't always cheap in the long run.

I already have a JKS adjustable trac bar (I never assumed I would be staying at 2 inches ;), so that is no problem.

ZJ springs and spacers? are those stock zj springs or RE or something? that would seem to push it to well over 4 inches if they were aftermarket springs...any recommendations for new coils (I'm inclined to stay with RE because my experience has been good with their gear)

I used stock ZJ springs from a V8 model. They gave me 1.5" of lift and my spacer gave me 2". I also made an s10 bastard pack. I need new shocks in the rear bad now. Mine are way overextended. Oh, I am on the stock track bar for now as well.

DSC03460-1800.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think the Detours or teraflex bar pin eliminators would help your shock situation?

Would you suggest removing the rear sway bar at 3-3.5 inches?

yeah my rear bar is gone. I can't tell a difference either. As for the bar pin eliminators I am not sure. I just know that at 3.5" my rear shocks are maxed out and need to be changed soon. I have no rebound dampening right now.

Dont know what lift height you are looking for.i prefer heavier coil rates and use bds coils, they make a 3,4.5,6.5 and 8 inch coil high#/inch rate and warrantied for life.sky jacker also makes a high #/inch rated coil both heavier than RE. hope that helps

I removed the rear swaybar from mine. I think it improved the ride as you don't have two swaybars fighting each other when you enter a parking lot or go around a corner.

If you're running the front sway bar with disconnects or have gotten your stock links easier to remove like I have, I don't mind the lighter spring rate coils. I run TeraFlex, which has some ungodly light rate. I run it around town w/o the bar, but if I'm going on any kind of long trip with a load in it, the links go back on. If I wasn't running a front swaybar like some of the guys I hang around with, I'd do what they did and run heavier rate coils to help keep the bob/weave down on the interstate. On the trail, I have not noticed any side effects to the light rate coils, other than maybe my front maxing out before the rear. I also run the JKS trac-bar and am very pleased with it.

Back