• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep won't start but can be jumped...

crackers8199

NAXJA Forum User
...once it's jumped, it runs fine until i shut it off - then it won't start again (and subsequently needs to be jumped again), at which point the cycle starts over again...

what's the likely cause? bad battery?

yep

have that same problem in my wrecked jeep. The battery that is in it is a really old, weak one. Jump starts and runs great! But won't start on it's own.

If the battery is in poor condition, throw another in and go from there. Report back in.

Toss in a new battery for a test as already mentioned or have yours load tested. Simply checking battery voltage is not a good enough test. Also a good time to freshen up battery connections; sometimes that is the primary cause of a symptom like this. Shouldn't be too tough to get under. Good Luck!

that's kinda what i figured, considering i have had problems with this particular battery in the past. i will jump it tomorrow morning and take it to the auto parts store and have them test it and go from there.

i'll let you all know how it goes...

starters will do the same thing. When I worked at a prats store I saw a lot of people come in knowing they had a bad battery. Next day they are back trying to return the now used battery because the same problem persists. Corrosion on the terminals at either the batt end or the starter end can do it. And a starter with the brushes corroding or wearing out can act the same way.

what are the no start noises? one clunk? fast clicking?

there aren't any. as soon as i turn the key off, there's nothing to start it again, no clicking, no juice for the radio or any interior lights, nothing...

as soon as i hook the jumper cables up again and turn the key, it starts right up.

so you get nothing from the battery at all, not even enough to click the starter relay. batteries don't typically go that far without shorting and if that was the case the car would not run, so you probably have bad corrosion on the battery poles and are just running off alternator power. change battery and install new terminals

interestingly enough, when i went out tonight before i went to work, i decided to pop the hood and reseat the negative battery cable - wouldn't you know, once i did that the thing started right up.

i'm guessing i've just got a loose / corroded battery terminal...

kool, so your up and running. How are the conditions of your cabler ends? much corrosion or buildup of crap on the terminals? if you are in the market for some new cables that will have improved performance over the stock ones look up 5-90 and in his signature he has a hyperlink to his site. He sells high quality stuff. Cheers

Back