• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sub and amp wiring to head unit

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
I broke my aftermarket head unit that i put it and i decided to put the stock one back in to save some money and realize there arent any rca cable hookups and where would i hook the remote wire if this is possible to do?

On some amps you can run the speaker wires directly into the amp instead of having to use the rca cables. It would be marked as speaker level input or something similar. As for the remote wire, you could probably use the power antenna feed if the radio has one and your jeep isn't equipped with the power antenna. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what to tell you on that problem. I've never seen where anybody has run an amp off of a factory radio but I would think it is possible. Hope this helps.

The remote wire will sometimes worked just hooked in to a hot wire. Speaker wires will hook up the same, minus the RCAs. The stock radio will have speaker outputs, probably 4 channels. Make sure the remote wire is hooked into a hot wire that is ONLY on when the ignition is on :).

If your amp will be running subs only I'd tap into the back speaker wires. Do both so you have left and right. If your amp is running all four speakers then run the eight speaker wires to the amp then out to the speakers. For the remote wire you should be able to hook up to a signal wire for the power antenna, if not the power wire for the radio thats only on when the car is on will work. If you still have the wireing harness for the headunit you can use that to figure out which wire is which.

A little research goes a long way. I typed your problem into google an countless hits came up.

In order to use your amp on the stock headunit, you need an RCA adapter also know as an LOC - Line Output Converter. Shown here:
http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=142SLC4&search=Line+output+converter

As for the remote lead. Like said, use either the 12v+ power antenna wire, or the main accessory wire that turns on the entire head unit. Others will work, but make sure it IS an accessory lead. Otherwise you will have the amp on all the time, and it will drain your car's battery.

Back