• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 build....

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled this out of an 87 with a manual for 94$... 3.07 gears and I ditched the brakes at the yard because I planned on doing some type of disk swap.

DSCF0128.jpg

I cleaned it up with the wire wheel and cut the shock mounts off and ground it smooth. I welded up some new mounts on the axle tube.

For brakes I went with the explorer conversion over the zj and Im glad I did because it was a very easy swap. I got the disk brakes off a 97 exploder which looked like they were replaced right before it rolled 10 times. Got the calipers, rotors and mounts for 45 bucks. There is a great write up done by markw on here somewhere.

DSCF0232.jpg

This is what it looks like now after I got the diff cover painted. I still need to figure out how I want to do the hard lines and mounts for the soft lines.

I bought a spool and yukon 4.56's that I havent set up yet but I just got around to mating the ring gear to the spool the other day.

DSCF0235.jpg

Now comes the fun of setting up the gears...

I also put new set 10's on the axle shafts and cleaned them up as well. So far so good. Any suggestions while its still on the bench?

its what i want and have planned for my 44 except im going 4.88's and 33's :D

looks awesome. good to take your time and do it right and really well the first time around. nothing that i can think of that you haven't done/aren't already planning... keep it updated!!

looks awesome. good to take your time and do it right and really well the first time around. nothing that i can think of that you haven't done/aren't already planning... keep it updated!!

x2. i like the approach/how clean everything is.

whoaa anthony!! already broke the 1000 post mark! you are quite the talker! haha

whoaa anthony!! already broke the 1000 post mark! you are quite the talker! haha

damn i didn't even notice haha i made like 5-7 posts in the last 15 minutes :anon:

i'm sorry for post whoring.:dunno:

I still need to figure out how I want to do the hard lines and mounts for the soft lines.

When we built my D44, Clean-RC made some custom steel braided lines to replace the hard lines.

IMG_0374.jpg

very nice!

Yeah the shafts are the only thing that i still have left to do. Alloy isn't really in buisness as far as I can tell and I've seen threads about problems with superior floating around so maybe ill look into moser or something. Thanks for all the comments guys. I really like the stainless lines.... pretty trick, but I just got a flaring kit from sk so i can bend and make my own lines and connects so I want to put it to use. Also I just realized that I need to press on some longer wheel studs so that is also on the list. There always seems to be a list.

There absolutely is always a list, as unfortunate as it is :) And, I've yet to hear anything bad about Moser axles, they are what I'm planning to use in my front 44 once I have the extra money... Alloy USA also seems to be a good company, as well.

Also, that is a great deal that Northridge has got, I don't know of anywhere cheaper. To me, fwiw, it's definitely worth having the bearings pressed on for $25...I hate doing that myself.

Also, that is a great deal that Northridge has got, I don't know of anywhere cheaper. To me, fwiw, it's definitely worth having the bearings pressed on for $25...I hate doing that myself.

Thats the cheapest I've seen as well. I already pressed on my new axle bearings. My buddy has a 20 ton press out at his ranch so it wasnt too hard.

Do they stock the XJ bearing retainers?
edit: I mean backing plates...

Last edited:
Back