• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Springs under compression = urgghhhh

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I only have 3" lift springs and putting them back in after I installed ~2" (1.75 RE spacer with 2 stock ones) worth of spacers is crap! So it got me thinking, how do all you guys with 4.5" coils and 1"+ spacers putting your springs in?

I ask because earlier one of my springs (when it was almost compressed enough to fit) shot into the back of my moms Jaguar XJS...do you guys have any idea how expensive parts for those cars are!? :doh: I would have thought 3 of those strut spring compressors would be enough...but I was wrong I guess. Harbor freight FTW.

~Scott

i......disconnect shocks, disconnect the lower control arm and the trackbar... one side at a time

i dont have a sway bar...just hi-lifted my jeep up frm my rock rail to where it over flexed. my coil can be pulled out if i flex too much. put the spacer then the coil in and dropped the jeep back down.

Man mine is being way more difficult. I have the Jeep on jacks and I pulled the tierod (since I'm putting in a ZJ one) and both lower control arms, I still can BARELY sqweeze the springs in.

~Scott

With a Hi-lift under the front bumper, and most of the suspension removed I was able to set some 5.5" springs in with room to spare.

Make sure you do one side at a time. Jack up one side to force flex on the other side. Are the front bump stops removed?

Yeah I pulled the bumps (hockey puck) out...I even tried flexing one side to force the other end down, but it just wouldnt go that far. Maybe it's because my 4wd is ingaged currently? Or the stock trackbar holding it back?

~Scott

Whats your deal Scoot. Just as said sway bar off, track bar off , No problem :wow:

Yeah I pulled the bumps (hockey puck) out...I even tried flexing one side to force the other end down, but it just wouldnt go that far. Maybe it's because my 4wd is ingaged currently? Or the stock trackbar holding it back?

~Scott

But is the upper factory bump stop removed? Take a pair of channel locks and unscrew it if you haven't already. That's a good 3-4" right there.

Scott,
LCA's disconnected (I usually do one side at a time also).
TB at Axle end disconnected
Swaybar (obviously)
Shocks
And in your case new brake lines (your stock ones might not be long enough).
Also, make sure your UCA's are not too tight.

Should slide in easily with NO spring compressors (they are a PIA and are dangerous).

Michael

I used the Harbor Frieght Spring compressors and took the shocks loose ,did it that way to put my 3 in springs and 1 in spacer in and out.With the stock bump stops in ,had to use an extra pry bar on the passenger side.

this is what i did...

unbolt shocks at the top (or remove completly, probaly replacing them any way)
unbolt lca (i unbolted mine from the body since it needed to be alligned any way)
LOOSEN uca bolts (to let the axle move more freely)
unbolt sway bar
unbolt trac bar
unbolt brake lines from inner fender well
jack it up kinda high, put in jack stands
and then get a buddy to stand on the outer edge of the axle of the side your installing while you install the spring (only if necessary)

also, put the top of the spring in first. remove bump stop if necessary.

i used a prybar to help persuade mine.
im running stock springs with a ghetto fabulous adjustable coil spacer at 4.5 of lift

light a fire under my ass if i have misguided this guy!!!!:gee: lol, just tryin to help

This is easy guys come on.

Get long arms! Then unbolt your shocks and let the springs fall out. What I usually do is before I drop the axle any I work a rachet strap through the coils and make about 4 loops of it so each loop is evenly placed around the coil and tighten it. This will hold it so that when you drop the axle down the spring wont expand.

-Alex

I put mine on 2 weeks ago, i just dropped the front end on the ground one side at a time..

Same, although I had the benefit of swapping LA's on at the same time. I wouldn't use a spring compressor, like Mike said, that shit's dangerous. Plus, I might damage my Mom's car.;)

J/K Scott, sorry to hear about your woes. At least it was your Mom's and not your Dad's, save a guy an ass-whuppin'.

Hah no...if it was my dads car it would not have cost as much to fix (He currently is driving the Jeep Patiot for commute). And at the end of the day, my dads the one who repairs my moms car...so either way its a bummer.

Trackbar...damn it. I had a feeling SOMETHING was holding the axle back still (axle hangs on its own and still doesnt touch the ground), but the trackbar didnt LOOK like it was the problem. I'll try after work. Hopefully all this stuff isn't too hard to line back up. I spent all day yesterday compressing my springs to put them in....lame. (plug in compressor, and run the impact gun until the compressor gets fried :))

~Scott

Back