• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 motor troubles

BigWes

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been working on my buddy's cherokee, and we are stumped....its a 96 2dr. xj, 2.5 4cyl, 5speed, np231.......
It had been hydrolocked a while back, but ran fine for about a month after. Now, anytime the motor gets around 3,000rpms it starts cutting out almost like its hitting the rev limiter....happens in every gear. If i get it up around 45mph in 4th gear and then drop it into second, it will rev high, but if you give it gas it wont do anything untill it gets back down around 3k rpms ...also has trouble idleing.....so far we have...
Replaced the cat
checked 02 sensors
new plugs, wires, cap, coil.
new fluids
drygas
seafoam
cleaned entire throttle body
new tps sensor

Now were thinking fuel pump/filter or the computer....we have tried about everything and those are about all thats left, my xj is a 4.0 so the motor is not quite what im used to even though they are practically the same. im just about out of ideas so i thought id see what you all thought.
any help is appriciated.

Back