• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo gear $85!!!!!!!!!!

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've changed out many speedo gears when I've changed either gears or tires and they've always been around $12 at the stealership. I went in today to order a 41 tooth gear for my 4.88's and 33" tire combo and they said that the price was around $85! What happened? I failed to ask about the other tooth'd gears for reference but they would all be about the same right?

The gear in question is part number 52067641

Quadratec doesn't offer a 41 tooth.

Jeep 4x4 center has them for $125! I know I didn't pay that much in the past but since I have a 96 it shows that I need the short gear. Why the price difference? Anyone have a comparison of the short vs long gears? I can go pull one of the old ones that works to verify lenght.

Quadratec doesn't offer a 41 tooth.

Jeep 4x4 center has them for $125! I know I didn't pay that much in the past but since I have a 96 it shows that I need the short gear. Why the price difference? Anyone have a comparison of the short vs long gears? I can go pull one of the old ones that works to verify lenght.
dude im in the same boat. 33's and 4.88's and its a daily driver!

buy a long gear if it's cheaper, tap the steel shaft out, and swap shafts with your old short shaft.

the plastic gears are just tapped onto the center shaft (which is steel)

I don't think it's a typo since the suppliers mentioned above seem to be about the same. The line that the guy at the stealership gave me was that Jeep really didn't want to support all the mods that people were doing so they were jacking up the price to deter that. I doubt that's true but if so that's pretty chitty to me.

Good idea on the swapping shafts. I'll pull out some old gears today and see if that is do-able.

I don't think it's a typo since the suppliers mentioned above seem to be about the same. The line that the guy at the stealership gave me was that Jeep really didn't want to support all the mods that people were doing so they were jacking up the price to deter that. I doubt that's true but if so that's pretty chitty to me.

Good idea on the swapping shafts. I'll pull out some old gears today and see if that is do-able.

I would think that a more likely scenario is they're not being produced. Some of these oddball tooth sizes aren't very common. So what's left in stock becomes very expensive.

Sucks for me, I need a 43 tooth.

Retail on the 41 tooth gear is $86.85 at dealer. Chrysler ran there original plastic supplier out of buisness, so they had to find a new supplier. I work at the dealer and need to buy a 38 tooth for mine and I am waiting for the price to come down.

motionoffroad LOL no

The main reason they went up in price is because they are not in use any more. When the new JK came out in 07 they went with just a sensor and a reluctor ring. No need for the gears anymore.

Sounds like it's time for a garage with a lathe to start making some one-off customs...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Well I already have the lathe...
IMG_7432-800.jpg

Just no time or experience to build gears. :D

Back